ICC permit for boating on the sea.

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
pbb
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pbb »

Does anyone know whether an ICC qualification is sufficient to own and use a French bought motor boat on the sea.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

If you are resident in France the boat must be registered (flagged) in France and will be subject to French regulations and, depending on the engine size and speed, may require you to have the French certificate.

If you are normally resident in the UK you can have the boat registered in the UK and fly the Red Ensign. As the skipper of a UK registered boat you will be subject to UK rules and regulations. The ICC will be required if you wish to use the canals.

Russell.
pbb
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pbb »

The boat is registered here in France and I am a French resident. I have used my ICC qualification to hire motor boats but have drawn a blank as to whether I need a French qualification as well to actually own and use the boat.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

You'll have to check, perhaps at the Capitainerie at one of the ports, as I might be a bit out of date as I sold my boat here a few years back.

If I remember correctly you will need a permis if the motor is more than 4.5 kW (about 6 Hp). The ICC is definitely not accepted if you are French resident and in a French boat.

Russell.
pbb
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pbb »

Thank you for your help.
pbb
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pbb »

The reason for my question was because a British friend told me he believed it was necessary to have a French navigation certificate for a foreign resident to use his own, French-registered, power boat in French coastal waters.

I have since been in touch with both the office of the Ministère de Développement Durable at Port-Vendres (This Ministry seems to be responsible for the French boating certificate system) and also the Maritime Gendarmes at Port-Vendres.

They were both adamant that the British I.C.C. (as long as it has a French translation - it does) is valid for a Brit to use his own, French-registered, power boat within the limits prescribed by the I.C.C. and the type of boat.

This is confirmed by the following table, from the Ministry's web site:

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.f ... s_V2-2.pdf
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

O.K. so the rules have relaxed a bit since I had a boat here. Thanks for the update.

Russell.