Still drives you mad after 50 years....

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Still drives you mad after 50 years....

Post by martyn94 »

Most aspects of French everyday life which got really up my nose when I first came here have either abated (even Parisian shop assistants) or just become too familiar to notice any more. But some still reliably push my buttons.

Including, especially today, the way they give you change. A few coins are spread out over the largest possible space on the counter with a great flourish, even if you have your hand out to take it, and especially if (a) your hands are already full, (b) you've just cut your fingernails, and (c) the counter is chest-high.

I've never understood what it's about. Do they think that they are going to catch something from me; think that I'm afraid of catching something from them; or just want to minimise recriminations about the accuracy of the change?

In any event, I wish they'd stop.[/i]
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Agreed!
I worked on checkout , customer service and trained new assistants for 10 years in UK. Our brief was that you always count the change back into the customers hand, never just put it in a pile in their palm and absolutely never put in on to the checkout for them to chase down the slope.....and if the assistant was having a bad day or just not listening to what had been told them in their training, you can guarantee a regular customer would put the straight!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.