French registered car

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

French registered car

Post by Lanark Lass »

Is it illegal for a person resident in the UK with a maison secondaire in France and a car registered to that maison secondaire to drive that car in the UK?

I am of the opinion that this is the case but can anyone confirm or otherwise?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: French registered car

Post by Allan »

Lanark Lass wrote:Is it illegal for a person resident in the UK with a maison secondaire in France and a car registered to that maison secondaire to drive that car in the UK?

I am of the opinion that this is the case but can anyone confirm or otherwise?
I believe you are correct, if you are UK resident then to use your car in the uk it must be registered, taxed and have an MOT if necessary in the UK.

http://expatriates.stackexchange.com/qu ... -in-the-uk

This is obviously a messy situation, as if you keep it in France for the majority of time then you would have to flip-flop between registering it in the 2 countries.

If you only intend to use it in the UK for a short time then seek clarification from the DVLA
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I evidently did much the same searches as Allan and came to the same conclusion, but didn't post because I was reluctant to advise you to break the law. If you have another, kosher UK, car in the UK, I cannot imagine that you would in practice ever get nicked if you happened to use the wrong car purely in transit. But if not, not. If you do use a French car as everyday transport in the UK, you might also want to check your insurance.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I did for a year or two have a UK car, which I parked in Dover, and a French car, which I parked in Calais. It worked surprisingly well, until they cut down on the parking in Dover.