Right to return goods within 14 days

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Phip3 »

Hi, Need some advice . Bought a bed on line from site Paris Prix based in France . Bed arrived but the sender was a company in the UK . Packing was damaged on arrival but I examined the exposed pieces and everything looked OK . It was the wooden slats (Lattes) which were exposed . On unpacking the 2 parcels which consisted of 18 parts I realised that the bed was not suitable . The frame was made of very very soft pine and the supports for the slats were unlikely to hold over time. There was some marks on the headboard which if the bed was acceptable would not have bothered me . Oddly the slats were made of a much better wood . Looked at the website terms and conditions , mention of legally right to return goods 14 days , but no mention of a return address . FAQs No mention of how or where to return goods. Contact Paris Prix by email saying I was not happy with the bed and wanted to return it due to its poor quality . Unfortunately I also mentioned the partly damaged packaging and the marks on the headboard . Got extremely frosty reply and eventually managed to get an address but it is the a UK address of the sender . This is at my expense . I'd paid a delivery charge and so guessed that there was no free return . The cost of sending it to the UK is a lot ! It's the weight of the slats not the bed ! Said I return it to their French address but they responded that they would refuse to accept delivery . They've refused to give me any other return address than the UK one. Anyone know this 'right to return' law in more detail ?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Looking at the government site https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F10485 which is usually quite accurate, if a little brief, the costs of return should be paid by you, unless otherwise stated or agreed by the seller.
Vous ne devez payer que les coûts directs de renvoi sauf si le professionnel les prend à sa charge ou s'il ne vous a pas informé que vous deviez régler
Very unfair....but it might be better to save yourself a lot of stress and hassle, cut your losses and put it for sale on the Bon coin? Bon courage!
Last edited by Kate on Sun 24 Jul 2016 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

14 DAYS TO RETURN GOOD.

Post by Phip3 »

Thank you very much for your reply . Before posting I had spent quite a few hours looking at the link you suggest without finding the answer to my problem . 2 interesting 'Good to Know's ; 1 Gives standard letter to claim this right and 2 the popular clause in contracts about returnings goods in the original packaging is considered to be a 'cause abusive'.

It's actually less trouble and more cost effective to return and get refund . I guess I'd get about 50 quid for the bed compared to a few hundred refund - postage. + The thing's taking up space I don't have . I paid for it with a UK credit card and after the return am going to look at 'clause 75'.

I know that it is a bit of a long shot but is there anybody out there who knows something about this right, ie : L’article L. 121-21 du code de la consommation .
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I wish you luck, but a very quick look at beds on Paris Prix suggests that they are built to a price. If you have not (apparently) tried to assemble the bed, let alone use it, it's not obvious that you could invoke s75, though you might get some joy simply out of nuisance value.

One more detailed point. A quick look at Paris Prix suggests that they give space to goods from third-party sellers (like a lot of other sites). You might like to redo your transaction (short of actually buying it again, obviously) to check who your contract was with in the first place.
Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Phip3 »

'though you might get some joy simply out of nuisance value'. I'm afraid I don't understood this . Why would I get joy out of being a nuisance .I'm sorry but I find this comment a bit insulting .

Since this problem arose I have spent quite a lot of time checking Paris Prix web site . My contract is with them. My mistake was that I was looking for a particular type of design of bed , needed it quickly and I didn't have a good look at all their products . They are actually over priced . They've got a bed on sale for 90 odd euros which is on sale for about 49 euros in Conforama and 34 euros in Auchan . I dread to think what it is made of . I paid nearly 300 euros which is relatively cheap for a bed but what I've actually got is a 130 euro bed : it is just a load of 'pants'. It"s a lesson well learnt . When you're pressed for time buying on line is so qucik and easy .
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Right to return goods within 14 days

Post by martyn94 »

Phip3 wrote:'though you might get some joy simply out of nuisance value'. I'm afraid I don't understood this . Why would I get joy out of being a nuisance .I'm sorry but I find this comment a bit insulting .

Since this problem arose I have spent quite a lot of time checking Paris Prix web site . My contract is with them. My mistake was that I was looking for a particular type of design of bed , needed it quickly and I didn't have a good look at all their products . They are actually over priced . They've got a bed on sale for 90 odd euros which is on sale for about 49 euros in Conforama and 34 euros in Auchan . I dread to think what it is made of . I paid nearly 300 euros which is relatively cheap for a bed but what I've actually got is a 130 euro bed : it is just a load of 'pants'. It"s a lesson well learnt . When you're pressed for time buying on line is so qucik and easy .
It wasn't remotely meant to be insulting. Merely to suggest that s75 might get you somewhere even if your claim does not have outstanding merit. Good luck if that proves to be so.
Phip2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Full Refund

Post by Phip2 »

Hi, Just for info;
French Consummer Law seems to work. I got a full refund . They didn't pay up immediately and I did not receive acknowledgements of my first letter and the receipt of the returned goods. I had to sent a second letter, which I downloaded from the internet, together with evidence that they had received the first letter and the returned goods . It gave them 8 days to pay up or else . I received an immediate reply and a full refund after 4 days .
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Full Refund

Post by martyn94 »

Phip2 wrote:Hi, Just for info;
French Consummer Law seems to work. I got a full refund . They didn't pay up immediately and I did not receive acknowledgements of my first letter and the receipt of the returned goods. I had to sent a second letter, which I downloaded from the internet, together with evidence that they had received the first letter and the returned goods . It gave them 8 days to pay up or else . I received an immediate reply and a full refund after 4 days .
Many thanks for this. It's rare here to find out how things turned out.