Brexit

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Brexit

Post by Webdoc »

nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

Thank you for flagging this up, Andrew.
Nothing on BBC or SKY so far this morning.
A glimmer of hope then.
Nicki
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Hopefully the May government will favour that as it may take some pressure off them from the remainers.

Russell
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Look at "Europe" page on BBC new website
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:Hopefully the May government will favour that as it may take some pressure off them from the remainers.

Russell
Maybe. But they are "taking back control" after all: control over your own citizens' citizenship might seem pretty fundamental. More generally, I suspect that they will be inclined to look gift horses in the mouth (timeo danaos et dona ferentes and all that).

In any event, I doubt that many of us are at risk of being chucked out on any scenario (perhaps I'm complacent): it's grittier things like reciprocal health care that worry me.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I suspect these proposals are aimed at ensuring that the Brain Drain will continue by making it easy for the talented and highly skilled to be employed in the EU. If those of us who are not economically active benefit it will be as a by-product.

For those of us who are French taxpayers then health cover should not be an issue. It will just cost a bit more if we pay CSG at full whack.

I know there are some who use the current rules to have their cake and eat it. The people who claim to spend three months of the year in the UK and thus avoid paying income tax and prelevements sociaux in France while enjoying all the benefits of the healthcare system.

I have little sympathy for them.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:I suspect these proposals are aimed at ensuring that the Brain Drain will continue by making it easy for the talented and highly skilled to be employed in the EU. If those of us who are not economically active benefit it will be as a by-product.

For those of us who are French taxpayers then health cover should not be an issue. It will just cost a bit more if we pay CSG at full whack.

I know there are some who use the current rules to have their cake and eat it. The people who claim to spend three months of the year in the UK and thus avoid paying income tax and prelevements sociaux in France while enjoying all the benefits of the healthcare system.

I have little sympathy for them.

Gus
I'm over 65 (by a fortnight) and qualify for French health care by virtue of my UK NIRP (bought and very much paid for in the U.K.). It doesn't involve gaming the system to any degree: the costs are billed back to the UK (who would be paying for me anyway if I were still there). But it works, at the moment, by virtue of our being in the EU. Some sort of deal will be needed to make it continue.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Any of you who are interested in keeping up with Brexit developments, campaigning for our continued rights to remain, lobbying, making sure you have correct information about residence, citizenship, health care and so on AND are Facebook users might be interested in joining the group that I'm an admin on - RIFT (Remain in France Together). We've been going since 24 June and have almost 5000 members.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Ariègeoise wrote:Any of you who are interested in keeping up with Brexit developments, campaigning for our continued rights to remain, lobbying, making sure you have correct information about residence, citizenship, health care and so on AND are Facebook users might be interested in joining the group that I'm an admin on - RIFT (Remain in France Together). We've been going since 24 June and have almost 5000 members.
Can't fault your objectives. Will freely admit I'm not a fan of Facebook but accept it works for a lot of people. And yes, I am a passive FB user. Could not check out RIFT as it's a closed group. Why? What have you to hide?

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:
Ariègeoise wrote:Any of you who are interested in keeping up with Brexit developments, campaigning for our continued rights to remain, lobbying, making sure you have correct information about residence, citizenship, health care and so on AND are Facebook users might be interested in joining the group that I'm an admin on - RIFT (Remain in France Together). We've been going since 24 June and have almost 5000 members.
Can't fault your objectives. Will freely admit I'm not a fan of Facebook but accept it works for a lot of people. And yes, I am a passive FB user. Could not check out RIFT as it's a closed group. Why? What have you to hide?

Gus
I am not an avid Facebook user myself. But I think it's entirely understandable why it might be a closed group, given the passions that Brexit tends to arouse. Why imagine that there is something to hide? Why not just ask to join: you could always resign if you find that it's just the illuminati ruling the world (as always) from the tenth sub-basement of the Empire State Building?
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

It's a closed group for two reasons.

Firstly, to make sure that it's a safe space for people to talk about fears, problems and whatever. And secondly, because when you have nearly 5000 members you attract a serious level of trolling if you're an open group! As it is, we currently refuse 50% of applications to join as they are either trolls or people who want to sell ear cleaning kits :wink:
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Ariègeoise wrote:It's a closed group for two reasons.

Firstly, to make sure that it's a safe space for people to talk about fears, problems and whatever. And secondly, because when you have nearly 5000 members you attract a serious level of trolling if you're an open group! As it is, we currently refuse 50% of applications to join as they are either trolls or people who want to sell ear cleaning kits :wink:
Point taken. I'm surprised that you can't set up your FB group like this forum. Where Joe Public can see but can't touch. But then what do I know about anything?

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:

Point taken. I'm surprised that you can't set up your FB group like this forum. Where Joe Public can see but can't touch. But then what do I know about anything?

Gus
But why would you want to?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I can see why you wouldn't want trolls. But have you seen the state of my ears?
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Not yet, martyn, not yet ... :lol:
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I'm not into playing forum ping-pong. This is for Martyn. I won't be returning the ball.

As I've already said I'm no great fan of Facebook. Just to get on to it you have to create an ID and sign in. If Ariègeoise wants to pull in people like me then she might have a better chance if she had a "Shop Window". Simple marketing. That's all. Not rocket science, not worth arguing over.

Gus
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

The advantage of FB of course, is that you know (mostly) who you're dealing with. People tend to be more thoughtful before they post, bearing in mind that they're recognized as themselves. Here on the forum, we can be anybody can't we?

Whilst people can falsify FB too, it's usually obvious because they have a photo and made up profile....but no interaction with anybody else on their page.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:I'm not into playing forum ping-pong. This is for Martyn. I won't be returning the ball.

As I've already said I'm no great fan of Facebook. Just to get on to it you have to create an ID and sign in. If Ariègeoise wants to pull in people like me then she might have a better chance if she had a "Shop Window". Simple marketing. That's all. Not rocket science, not worth arguing over.

Gus
I can't see that Ariègoise has shown any desire to "pull in" anyone, unless they have some sympathy with the aims of her group, which you can discern easily enough on FB, and from her posts here, without ever needing to join.

You evidently think that you would be an attractive catch, worth a serious marketing effort. God knows why.