Linky

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Linky

Post by russell »

When these smart power meters were first proposed there was a lot of concern over the effects of RF radiation from them all. That was nonsense as the radiation was orders of magnitude below that from mobile phones and in any case the frequency of any radiation is well below the level at which it can cause damage to DNA.

However now, contrary to earlier assurances that the costs would be covered by the savings, it is estimated that the cost to each consumer will be €15 a year for the next ten years! Que Choisi has organised a pettition to stop that charge:
https://www.quechoisir.org/action-ufc-q ... =nlh180308

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I don’t think that anyone can have supposed, or said, that this huge project would cost nothing. And the costs are bound to be reflected in charges. The proposition was rather that it could generate savings to Enedis (eg in terms of load-balancing) which could work through indirectly to us, or that it could allow us to manage our consumption to make savings directly.

I’m entirely ready to believe that these advantages were oversold, or have been under-achieved (perhaps only in the short term, to be optimistic). They always are. But I’m not about to man the barricades for €15 a year: Que Choisir is, after all, in the business of selling outrage.

And all the more so because I don’t want to align myself, even fortuitously, with people who think that Linkys send out death rays, which you rightly say they don’t.

I have a naive belief that more information about complex systems is likely to be better than less information, even if it takes time to use it to best effect.