visiting our holiday home after 2 years

A subject that is very close to the hearts of the many British that have made a home, either primary or secondary, in France or elsewhere in Europe.
HERE IS YOUR PLACE TO VENT.....but if you become aggressive, rude or personal, you'll be deleted without notice so think before you press that button please!

Moderator: Moderators

gleber
Rank 2
Rank 2

visiting our holiday home after 2 years

Post by gleber »

We last visited St. Cyprien in March 2020 and had to make a hasty retreat due to the arrival of Covid19, no doubt like others we have not been there since then. Now that travel restriction look like easing we are looking to travel from Scotland to France in the not too distant future.

I am looking at all the necessary documentation that is required and wonder if anyone has made this trip recently. I am aware of the current Covid rules and documents required but would like to know what is now required under Brexit/Schengen arrangements. Obviously a valid passport (under 10 years old), I have read that proof of ownership of holiday home (Deeds?) proof of funds (Bank Statement?) proof of Insurance (Travel?) and if our Son wishes to use the apartment I have to give him a letter with our proof of ownership?

Has any recent traveller been asked to produce all these documents.

We have worked out the 90 day in 180 day rule to cover the number of visits we normally make and had thought of getting a long stay visa but having to put all the necessary documentation online via a website did not appeal, a sure recipe for fraud and identity theft, so maybe give the visa a miss. I had thought of contacting the French Consulate in Edinburgh but their website had no contact number shown and the email button was greyed out, so no luck there, would probably have to get in touch with the London office.

Another problem is the Locator Form to be completed online 48 hours before entering the U.K. hopefully that may be scrapped before our trip.

Thank you to anyone who has maybe been through the process lately and can give me an idea of exactly what is required.

Gleber
Anthea & Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: visiting our holiday home after 2 years

Post by Anthea & Tim »

We managed to visit St Cyp last September and took a folder full of documents to cope with Covid rules and Brexit including:
  • Proof of vaccination
    Declaration d'honneur
    Negative covid test result within 24 hours of crossing (currently no longer a requirement)
    Passenger Locator Form (for return to UK)
    Proof of property ownership (Tax Fonciere bill and EDF contract)
    Original V5C
    Green card (no longer a requirement - I think)
    GB & UK sticker for car
    Travel Insurance policy
All we were asked to show at the port (UK & France) were Passport, proof of vaccination and Declaration d'honneur.
Just planning opur next trip.
Hope this helps
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ted & Jemima »

Hello

The most up-to-date government info on travelling to France is here:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france
and here:
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/comin ... ode=calcul

As the rules are constantly changing, we will not cut & paste them here. As you are aware, France is a stickler for paperwork. So our advice from experience is that if it says you need X, you WILL need X.

Have a safe journey!

Yours
Ted & Jemima
http://findinglanguedoc.com
gleber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gleber »

Many thanks to Anthea & Tim, Ted & Jemima for those very helpful responses. I will now get down to the task of planning the trip and maybe see you in St. Cyprien.

Gleber
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

We’ve just come back from the UK, flying Manchester Carcassonne. All we were asked for both ways was passport and vaccination certificate. We had our passenger locator forms ready but they weren’t interested. Don’t worry about it too much. It feels as if it’s all going to be very stressful but in fact it’s all fairly simple. Bon voyage.
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

We agree with Kate. No problems.

We arrived via Ferry on Saturday. Previously I flew in last October. Absolutely no hassle. Just like the old days, except that you need to show your NHS Covid certs and the attestation. There simply isn’t time for the authorities to check every last bit of trivia that the new rules ostensibly require. No doubt they would if you started to act arsey!
gleber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gleber »

Thanks for that Graham. Which ferry did you use? We are trying to decide which ferry route to take. We are also looking at a Global Rail Pass using Eurostar to Lille then train down to Perpignan. That is the way we went in March 2020! Also good news that the Locator form for returning to U.K. no longer needed as of Friday.

Regards
Gleber
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

Portsmouth Caen. We used to do Portsmouth St Malo because the crossing itself is much nicer. But the quickest drive down from Caen is via the Massif Central - much nicer than flogging down the west coast.
SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB »

I always use the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry - quite a lot cheaper than the others, and a 4 hour crossing. Longer of course than Dover-Calais, but that's pretty much out of the question at present and also further to drive on the French sidem