Le Fanal (?) Banyuls

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Le Fanal (?) Banyuls

Post by Merisin »

I hope I've got the gender right!

We were driving through Banyuls yesterday en route for lunch with friends at Cerbere. Like many other restos this place has a dining area on the opposite side of the road on the trottoir. For what seems like ages there have been roadworks outside it and cars queue there waiting for the lights to change.

If I remember right this place is run by a Michelin starred chef. So lunch won't be cheap. What neither of us can get our heads around is paying top dollar to eat with rubberneckers on one side and traffic fumes on the other. Presumably the ambiance is something else!

For our money the eating space in Banyuls with the best view is the picnic area as you come into the town just past the "Swiss Cottage". And that's a freebie.

Mary
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I'm a little confused. Didn't you go to Cebere for lunch but you were hijacked into the Al Fanal. How did this happen.

I looked at the prices for Al Fanal and I think that they do have pirates at that place. Yet, the chef is going to fix something~he's qualified. He learned in many top restaurants in Paris.

The cheapest menu is 19 € and you can buy food up to 60€ for the chef's signature. Couldn't get your friends to buy the bill at the end??????

In any case, the education for food costs money. We're going to learn what you paid.

Pauvre Toi

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It's Pascal Borrel who had a macaron at his restaurant in Maury. I'll reserve judgement until we have a review from someone who's eaten there rather than a drive-by review based on the price.

If it's good, it could make Banyuls a nice lunch destination as I've yet to find a good restaurant there. 19€ sounds pretty reasonable.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Gosh I find the above to replies quite rude. I think (althought may be wrong) that the OP was commenting on the fact the seating was either side of a bush road with roadworks...although I appreciate the roadworks will move at some point, I think they were saying its a shame to sit somewhere for a nice meal and be in somewhat of a get ish bowl from people staring from the road. I don't think they are saying they begrudge paying the price just that they would find it odd to pay that price for the situation in which one enjoys the meal. Top restaurants are obviously about the chef, service and food but they are also about the atmosphere and ambience.
I don't think this was intended a full review but just a point someone had noticed!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I certainly didn't want to be rude about the post. But, let me change a few things after what Santiago mentioned.

First, the restaurant changed from Al Fanal to Le Fanal

Second, the Chef is changed. Santiago wrote the new chef's name.

I think that the 19€ shows to be okay.

Have a look that the owners think about their restaurant and how they pub for their place.

http://www.southfrance.com/restaurants/alfanal.html

The owners thinks that their place is well situated and very nice to see the Med.

Personally any restaurant who has tables along the road, it's going to be noisy and smelly. Banyuls, Port Vendres, and Collioure provide the same noise and fumes, so if you sit at the terrace on the road, it's going to be smelly. People walk past the terrace tables so if you object to "rubber neckers", go within the restaurant.

Again, I told Mary sorry about having a bad afternoon. I had a bad night with a restaurant in Argeles Port. The owners kept their doors open for two or three years and now they've gone. Lots of members here loved the place but it didn't change my viewpoint. I'm happy it's gone and a new place will reappear. So, Mary, we have a similar bad meal but I'm not trying to be rude about your post.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Santiago wrote:It's Pascal Borrel who had a macaron at his restaurant in Maury.
The name Borrel clicked in my memory. Prior to the Maury restaurant, he had a restaurant "Gaudi Plaisir" which was located on the road where all of the car concessionaires are located. I looked into Pascal Borrel's past, since I know his father. Jacques Borrel is another great chef too. He still operates a very nice restaurant within the Solier Campsite.

This is located within the campsite but don't be mistake, this is a very, very good restaurant. I've had seafood each time I have been there and it was all great.

It's a small world!

Blackduff