Pigeon shooting on Boulevard de la Mer, Argeles

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

pridaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pigeon shooting on Boulevard de la Mer, Argeles

Post by pridaka »

Hi all
just wondered if any of you are aware that the owner of one of the restaurants has been trapping the birds that fly around his reataurant and then killing them.
A friend saw this and remonstrated with the owner who then did as bid, stopped trapping them but took to shooting them instead.
Is this common practice in Argeles ?? I thought that it was way more civilised and that any restaurant that has Al Fresco eating just accepts the birds as part and parcel.
Kathy
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

Loup de Mer

Post by monsans »

It may well be the magpies which unfortunately if left to their own devises outnumber and attack all other living creatures including cats, squirrels and any other defenceless bird, including their own. My cat being one of those attacked and cornered on several occasions.
pridaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pridaka »

They used to trap Magpies but it is now doves and pigeons that they are shooting.
Kathy
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

I'm not sure naming a restaurant, without the full picture, is a very good thing to do.
Bad word of mouth can be very detrimental to businesses and whilst to some people this may seem abhorrent, to many it's just life and pest control.
I don't like to lump a whole nation into a box but generally speaking 'the French' are a lot more pragmatic about these things and into hunting etc, that doesn't make it a bad thing, it's just different from how some other people live.
pridaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pridaka »

Phipplebert
I accept your point but I have not said anything that is not true.
The restaurant, for whatever reason ( I did not specify one) was trapping birds and now they have resorted to shooting them instead.
Kathy
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

I just don't see why they should be named (which they have been in the title) and be potentially vilified online for doing something which is just pest control.
Pest control is very normal and to post on a public forum about them because your friend saw something, could lead to a bad case of Chinese whispers and a sad situation for the business.
Whilst what you say you claim to be true, the owner will not get the chance to explain the other side to the story here, especially on an English forum.
One can ask if the situation of trapping and shooting birds is common place without naming names. I imagine this style of pest control is common place in France and no doubt many other countries but many Brits have strong opinions on subjects like this, yet it's their (the French mans) country and I feel we should abide by their rules.
pridaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pridaka »

All points conceded, I did not intend to start a war - merely to point out these actions but I agree that naming the restaurant without it having a chance to comment is a tad unjust.
Kathy
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Will change title so the restaurant isnt obvious
pridaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pridaka »

Thank you
Kathy
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

shooting on B. de la Mer

Post by monsans »

The previous owner of said place also kept magpies clear of the place. I did think a permission of some sort had to be obtained but not sure.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Phipplebert wrote:I just don't see why they should be named (which they have been in the title) and be potentially vilified online for doing something which is just pest control.
Pest control is very normal and to post on a public forum about them because your friend saw something, could lead to a bad case of Chinese whispers and a sad situation for the business.
Whilst what you say you claim to be true, the owner will not get the chance to explain the other side to the story here, especially on an English forum.
One can ask if the situation of trapping and shooting birds is common place without naming names. I imagine this style of pest control is common place in France and no doubt many other countries but many Brits have strong opinions on subjects like this, yet it's their (the French mans) country and I feel we should abide by their rules.
I agree with you. I'm sure that most restaurants exercise some for of pest control. How would visitors feel if mice and rats were scurrying around their tables or it was full of flies. They are god's little creatures too.

I would imagine that other restos are less visible about how they deal with annoying pests.

On the other hand, I'd be a shocked if I was in the middle of lunch and the owner chucked a net over a pigeon and shot it in front of me (but I'm guessing that is not what happened).
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29