Ipads, laptops, filmon and putting it all together

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

susie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ipads, laptops, filmon and putting it all together

Post by susie »

Hi, Despite the title of this forum I am neither hi tech nor geeky, so please bear with me if I ask questions which have already been answered.

I have read through the various threads about how to set up in the post-satellite dish world which is now the S of France, but my brain crashed with too much information and lack of memory space, and refused to reboot.

So before I set off to Argeles, I have a few very basic questions to ensure I arrive with the right widgets (I believe that is the technical term) to make the thingies connect to the wotsits.

Situation: I have a cunningly disguised Sat dish in Argeles for Brit tv which I guess won't work anymore. I also have a decent wifi package in the apartment.

I have an ipad (2) which has filmon, BBC iplayers etc on

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which (i hope) will get filmon.

I have an old(ish) TV in France (might have to upgrade that anyway).

So to play filmon on the TV through the ipad, what would I need???
I'm guessing a digital av adapter and a HDMI cable?????

To play filmon on the TV through the laptop, do I just need a HDMI cable?

Thanks for any advice which can be given.

Susie
Last edited by susie on Wed 28 May 2014 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Susie
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ipads, laptops, filmon and putting it all together

Post by martyn94 »

susie wrote:Hi, Despite the title of this forum I am neither hi tech nor geeky, so please bear with me if I ask questions which have already been answered.

I have read through the various threads about how to set up in the post-satellite disk world which is now the S of France, but my brain crashed with too much information and lack of memory space, and refused to reboot.

So before I set off to Argeles, I have a few very basic questions to ensure I arrive with the right widgets (I believe that is the technical term) to make the thingies connect to the wotsits.

Situation: I have a cunningly disguised Sat disk in Argeles for Brit tv which I guess won't work anymore. I also have a decent wifi package in the apartment.

I have an ipad (2) which has filmon, BBC iplayers etc on

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which (i hope) will get filmon.

I have an old(ish) TV in France (might have to upgrade that anyway).

So to play filmon on the TV through the ipad, what would I need???
I'm guessing a digital av adapter and a HDMI cable?????

To play filmon on the TV through the laptop, do I just need a HDMI cable?

Thanks for any advice which can be given.

Susie
If you want the convenience of doing it without wires, you could stream from your ipad to an "Apple TV" (despite the name, not a tv but a small box you attach to your tv). You would need an hdmi cable from the box to your tv: an old tv might not have an hdmi socket; a new one would.

€85, delivered, here: http://store.apple.com/fr/product/FD199 ... nditionnée
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

We have a PC linked to a TV and can watch all the TV we want for 40 Euros a year. I'm not going to explain how because that's likely to start and avalanche of contradictory comments. If you care to send me your e-mail address we'll happily share our limited knowledge with you.

Mary
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

You can watch Filmon on either your iPad or your Dell laptop

You can connect the Laptop to your tv with a HDMI lead or you can connect the iPad with a digital AV adapter and an HDMI lead.

As Martyn pointed out, you can connect wirelessly from your iPad using an Apple TV box connected to your TV with an HDMI lead. You could also connect wirelessly from your laptop using a low cost piece of software called AirParrot.

If you wish to use BBC iplayer or any of the other catch-up TV services then you will need to subscribe to a service that makes it look like you are in the UK such as Overplay.net or Unotelly.

If your TV does not have an hdmi input then it is probably time to change it.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Allan wrote: If you wish to use BBC iplayer or any of the other catch-up TV services then you will need to subscribe to a service that makes it look like you are in the UK such as Overplay.net or Unotelly.
. . . . or, if you're using the laptop, install the Firefox or Chromium browser and the Media Hint add-on. That will let you watch BBC iPlayer and ITV Player in France without a subscription service.

Russell.
LLLynnWoW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LLLynnWoW »

To play filmon on the TV through the laptop, u just need a HDMI cable, somebody said... :lol: :lol:
-------------------------------------------
housse iphone 5c iphone 5c coque
Last edited by LLLynnWoW on Tue 10 Jun 2014 05:15, edited 3 times in total.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

russell wrote:
Allan wrote: If you wish to use BBC iplayer or any of the other catch-up TV services then you will need to subscribe to a service that makes it look like you are in the UK such as Overplay.net or Unotelly.
. . . . or, if you're using the laptop, install the Firefox or Chromium browser and the Media Hint add-on. That will let you watch BBC iPlayer and ITV Player in France without a subscription service.

Russell.[/quote

Does mediahint need a subscription after 7 days?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:
russell wrote:

Russell.
Does mediahint need a subscription after 7 days?
Not really on the original topic but yes it does. It moved to a subscription basis a short while ago, before that it relied on donations but I guess too many people just thought of it as a free service.

Of the 'free' services. TUNLR has closed down, ExpatShield still plagues you with advertising and tries to take over your browser and Hola now offers a paid for premium service with a degraded free service.

It's not for me to comment on the finances of others but a decent, supported professional service generally costs less that €4 a month so I don't really understand the passion for getting it free.

Not many things of value are free.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I use iportal at 5 euros a month.
EILEEN
Rank 2
Rank 2

VPN

Post by EILEEN »

I use Pure VPN and pay annually. About £30. Find it really good .
EILEEN
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

We use Tunnel Bear as our VPN.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Tubs do you pay for tunnel bear
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Allan wrote: [Media Hint] It moved to a subscription basis a short while ago, before that it relied on donations but I guess too many people just thought of it as a free service.
The free version is still working here on Firefox (Media Hint 0.1.13.1) and on Chromium (Media Hint 0.2.1). I guess the subscription is only for new installations.

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I went on Google Apps for it and was offered a 7 day free trial after which you haveve to pay
Dylan
Briant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Briant »

Sue wrote:Tubs do you pay for tunnel bear
I use tunnel bear. You can download it for free and try it, free data allowance every month. I paid via Palpal 1 pc and two tablets (IOS and Android) $39 pa
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks.
Dylan
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

You get a free monthly allowance then you pay after that. Can't remember how much, will look it up. If you tweet something about them on Twitter you get another free allowance. You can do this every month. It suits us perfectly.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks
Dylan
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

Sue, you download the app from the App Store (iTunes)and after verifying your account, you get 500mb of data a month to use straightaway. If you tweet you get a further 1gb of data per month. All free. After that you you can upgrade for £1.99 a month for unlimited data.
Hope that helps.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks Tubs. Trouble is I may be a lot of things to a lot of People but I'm not a Tweeter. :roll:
Dylan
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

Sue, you only have to tweet something like Tunnel bear is brilliant once a month. I'm no tweeter either but I'd do anything for a free gigabyte!!!!
Well, within reason!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Too much info Tubs!! :D
Dylan
Libenoit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Libenoit »

Plex est gratuit sur ordinateur, si vous souhaitez ensuite l'utiliser avec votre mobile ou tablette il faudra débourser entre 3 et 5 euros voire plus si vous souhaitez débloquer toutes les fonctionnalités avec un compte Premium "Plex Pass". Ici, nous ferons tout en gratuit etui ipad mini retina

Chromecast offre bien d'autres fonctionnalités et notamment des applications pour faire tout ce que l'on vient de faire sur tablette ou smartphone Android, Apple iOS ou même Windows Phone (voir les applis sur le site de Plex ou dans les boutiques d'applications Google Play, iTunes Store ou Windows Store).