Getting large gas bottles delivered

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Getting large gas bottles delivered

Post by lynda »

We have a lot of steps up to our new house where the gas bottle is housed and it would be difficult for us to get a full bottle up to the kitchen area even in our trolley. Does anyone know of a delivery firm who we can ask to deliver a full bottle of gas to our kitchen rather than us struggling with a heavy full bottle ? Lynda
lyndyloo
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

If other expedients fail, you could consider switching to newer-type gas bottles - eg "calypso" where the empty bottle weighs notably less than the traditional bottle, and the charge of gas is only 10kg rather than 13kg. If absolutely necessary, you could switch to eg "elfi" which is lighter again. Both have the advantage of a much easier and quicker changeover. The disadvantage is that you pay more per kg and change more often. I certainly find "calypso" worthwhile: I can just about carry one the (short) distance from my local supermarket, which I wouldn't contemplate with a traditional bottle.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

We had this problem. My OH modified the pipes and now we have the bottles in the cave. Alternatively, try smiling at the neighbours!

Mary
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lynda »

Many thanks for all these ideas 1we are off this morning looking for the Calypso bottles -Lynda
lyndyloo
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

lynda wrote:Many thanks for all these ideas 1we are off this morning looking for the Calypso bottles -Lynda
Perhaps a bit late, but if you do get one, don't forget to claim your free "détendeur": they don't connect to the old type. A few minutes with a spanner to change, and much less aggro thereafter.
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lynda »

Thanks -we just got one with the free new connection and it is much lighter -my husband can take it up the steps with our trolley -great
lyndyloo
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

lynda wrote:Thanks -we just got one with the free new connection and it is much lighter -my husband can take it up the steps with our trolley -great
One last attempt to teach granny to suck eggs. I have two calypso fittings. The older one just snaps down onto the bottle. The newer one snapped down but delivered no gas. It turns out there is a button you have to press to reset a safety valve. It foxed me for quite a while before I was desperate enough to read the instructions (which, unusually enough, I had not thrown away).
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dont worry Martyn, its a man thing. :lol:
Dylan