MAC vs. PC

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Maximus wrote:
When you have had experience of all three operating systems I think it gives you a better perspective on the strengths and weaknesses of each
JBS Haldane once wrote that God appeared to have "an inordinate fondness for beetles". You have an inordinate fondness for operating systems, by the standards of most computer users. I have enough of a geeky streak to understand how you might: but learning one of them is tiresome enough for most of us, let alone three.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

martyn94 wrote:As I think I said above, people don't get as passionate as russell and Maximus have done about vacuum cleaners. If you want passion and a pure heart and a worldwide community (but with an experimental and smaller user base) go with them. If you want to clean your carpet, go with Hoover.
I'm not sure where the idea of experimental comes from.

Linux has about 25 years of history, but based on UNIX which has 45 years.
MAC OS has 30 years of history but again based on UNIX.
Windows has 30 years of history so in some ways is the new kid on the block :lol:

For a light hearted comparison using a different analogy have a look here: http://barrakam.com/what-if-windows-lin ... were-cars/

I have both Windows and Linux installed on all my computers so I have the choice. Do you? I have tried Snow Leopard running on a virtual machine but without much luck.

Russell
Maximus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maximus »

I guess I am a bit of a fiddler, I enjoy learning new things but I understand not everyone has the time or the inclination

for me "experimental" is an ongoing thing, an attitude that doesn't necessarily go away just because you have been doing something for a long time

Yep I have a PC laptop that boots into Windows, Pinguy 14.04 (my favourite linux distro) and OpenElec (linux) that powers my home cinema - two iMacs one of which can boot into linux , an Android set top box for the telly and XBMC, an android tablet, two apple iPods (one lives in the car) and a Raspberry Pi which at the moment functions as a DNLA receiver for my music system

Lol it sounds like a lot but it is a collection built up over a number of years so not really expensive, and because I don't buy Microsoft very little money spent on software other than a few app store purchases and contributions to open source developers
Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prosserp »

we bought a iMac 27 and i must say it is absolutely fabulous , i cannot find fault with it ...
it boots up within 15 seconds , closes down perfectly and is very fast.. everything just works as computers should ...

what is amazing is the sound quality , we have loaded all our music collection and play it only on the iMac now , the sound is that good !!!

i use the iMac for spreadsheets and i must say that inumbers is so easy to use , compared to excel , is a real pleasure to use

i know mac's are expensive , but the whole experience makes it a very worth while purchase
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

My conclusion from this thread is that a Mac is best suited to the person who wants a machine primarily for home entertainment and a Windows PC is best for people who want a machine to run business applications, unless that business is graphics or media-based.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Zen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zen »

I've used mac computers for about 25 years and PCs for about 20 and would always go for a mac over a PC. I find it so much more intuitive to work with. We had macs at work before the NHS all got PCs, so got a mac at home, but since getting a PC at work have used both on a daily basis. It used to be that my mac easily recognised my PC files but not vice versa but nowadays for things like word, excel and powerpoint there is no problem. I just use MS office package on my mac for anything work related. Having said that I don't use any accounting or other business software . As far as photography goes mac always did beat PCs but alas they are stopping their main photographic software (Aperture) so I'll be replacing with 'Lightroom'. I think increasingly mac users although sticking to their hardware are using the same software as PC users!
Zen
Maximus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maximus »

Windows PC is best for people who want a machine to run business applications
Santiago - if your mission critical software has a Mac version then you are better off with Mac because of the longer product life, increased ease of use and higher levels of security

If there is no Mac version available then the calculation is a little more involved and you will have to consider whether or not the advantages of the Mac outweigh the inconvenience of running the software in virtualisation or multi boot environments - if you have a friend with a Mac you could ask them to load it for you and you could try it out

I wouldn't undervalue the security aspect of Macs - the cost to a business of having your computer hijacked or you data stolen may well make the inconveniences in setting up a Mac based system worthwhile, Having said that no system offers perfect security

In 25 years of computing I have never had a virus on a Mac, my Windows system has had to be wiped and re-installed several times due to viruses (and yes i was running a virus checker)

Max
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

Im wondering should i upgrade to a Commodore 64 or maybe an Atari or should i stick with my Sinclair ZX
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

lonesome paddy wrote:Im wondering should i upgrade to a Commodore 64 or maybe an Atari or should i stick with my Sinclair ZX
You could go for a BBC model B or, for twice the price, the prettier Apple II :lol:

Russell.