Microsoft virus scam - watch out

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Microsoft virus scam - watch out

Post by Pighunter »

Had a call from an indian call centre yesterday claiming to be from Microsoft, having detected some serious viruses on my computer. They knew my name address and telephone number and said they had my licence number.

I was given instructions to open some log which showed various threats they said would not be removed by anti virus software and that their technicians would remove for me.

I was then passed to the 'technical manager' who gave me a Manchester number I could contact him on and asked me to allow them access to the computer to make the changes. They logged on and he then sent me to a payment screen with no apparent security lock to add my card details which I queried and he said it was 3d technology which made it secure. I then said I'd call him back and investigated the number which came up on Google as a scammers number.

When I went back to the remote access screen they were downloading files from my computer so I cancelled it immediately, shut down and ran the virus scanner and changed all my passwords.

This morning a new icon was on the computer and having looked at the contents which include a contract, this is with an outfit called Ruben Marketing Ventures based in New Delhi not Microsoft at all.

Beware!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/seto ... -scam.html

We were contacted yet again this morning. I just said we dont have a computer, goodbye.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i either just immediately put the phone down without saying word, or if the TV is on i just hold the phone to the speaker on the TV....that normally works. i also use this technique for all 'French Cold Calls'.... the English Soundtrack is usually enough for them.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

There are likely to be logfiles somewhere on your computer which will give details of what they were doing. If you can find them it may be worth sending them to the Gendarmerie and the UK Police.

The logs are kept in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config for XP but I think it depends on the Windows version. Sorry I am no longer too familiar with Windows having changed to using Linux about six years ago.

Russell.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

I had a casll a couple of days ago from this crowd ...I let him go on and said I was very concerned so I wanted his help...but unfortunatley every time he gave me something to type in I made a "mistake" ....after about 5 mins he just hung up...well I am retired so I have got plenty of time to play
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

maybe we should all buy 'Policemans Whistles' !!!! AND BLOW!!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I am sure that someone has researched it, but I doubt that anything is so effective as just hanging up after the few seconds necessary to decide that it's a call you do not want. Though it can take longer: French cold-callers seem to be almost as inept at starting phone calls as French people generally: "Allo...Allo...Allo oui...".
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Nuisance calls seem to crop up regularly on here. We were warned about them when we first had a phone but thought the person who told us was being over dramatic. So we ignored his advice and soon found out that he was right . The hard way. This was a bit of a wake up call and we took action. It worked.

These days you really do need to put in place a phone and internet security plan. Unless you enjoy answering unwanted calls! And worse.

Mary
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I stick by the household rule, if I want it or need it i will look for it.

If someone phones me offering a servicei I ask them to put it in writing and hang up, if it is rally important they will call me back...
Health ins, renouvable energy,damp poof , i have them all but someone takingover my computer.....that is scary! I have had that hapened when i couldnt download a driver for a printer or a scanner , i found that spooky .

Consider me warned!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Had a Windows scam call on the 15th July and another this morning. Very English sounding name with a very Asian sounding accent.
Dylan
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Microsoft Scam

Post by BT »

Now making calls into Ireland. My wife received a call from a "gentleman" with an Indian acccent saying that he had heard that I was having an issue with my laptop. He hung up. BT
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

they are still at it.....i was at a client in Durban who had the call yesterday morning. i could advise him to 'Hang up'.
I use a variety of responses depending how 'Grumpy' i am feeling.....my favourite is the english sound from the TV getting louder and Louder to any French Cold Callers..... !!!
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Just had another call from these scumbags and hung up.

Do the same if they call you!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I just tell them that I use Linux not Windoze so can't have a virus and they hang up :D

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:I just tell them that I use Linux not Windoze so can't have a virus and they hang up :D

Russell.
Why on earth would you give them the minor pleasure of hanging up on you when you can hang up on them - about 10 seconds into their spiel, once you have heard it before, as the world and her dog must have done by now?
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

Engage them in a silly conversation if you have spare time, it's amazing how much rubbish you can say & they keep agreeing with you lol
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

They have changed their spiel. Instead of saying they are from Windows they are now saying they are from the computer maintenance department. They have just telephoned us AGAIN!
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Ask them where you should send the invoice for your time :D

Russell.