Moochie

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Moochie

Post by Prosserp »

Did anyone go down to see the demonstration of moochie tv box and what did they think ...
Is it legal as i know a fair few companies have been raided and closed down in the last few weeks
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

No, I did not go. Personally I too would be very wary. Fully functioning IPTV boxes sell for about £100. This looks very like one that has been programmed to connect via a DNS to get around geo-localisation protection. If the DNS is blocked in future then - bingo.

When I am visiting France I bring my internet radio. Even that stutters occasionally

Gus Morris
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Moochie

Post by russell »

Prosserp wrote:Did anyone go down to see the demonstration of moochie tv box and what did they think ...
Is it legal as i know a fair few companies have been raided and closed down in the last few weeks
Was that demo in the UK or in France? At least one UK company has been raided although under what law I don't know. Owning hardware capable of making a copy can't be an offence. If it was it would be illegal to own a camera, a smartphone, or a PC! If the boxes themselves were fake that would be illegal.

Here in France streaming copyrighted material has been ruled legal as you are not making a copy of it. Saving it to hard disk or distributing it is illegal.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I don't think the issue is so much streaming it as fraudulently obtaining it. The prosecutions in the UK. and Holland have all focused on companies selling boxes set up so that the users can fraudulently obtain Sky, BT Sport etc.

Similar applications are available in France for Canal Plus and Bein Sport, I cannot believe it would be legal here to fraudulently obtain them, whether you are just streaming or copying
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

In reply to Russell. There was a presentation a few days ago at a bar in Argeles. This was advertised on social media. Slap bang in the middle of the holiday season seems a strange time to hold such an event given Argeles is heaving with visitors and many Brits would give it a wide berth at this time of the year.

It's also a bit odd that the promoter has not been on here to defend the product. I assume he or she tracks this site as part of the marketing plan to reach what is, after all, a fairly limited audience.

Just a thought, like.

Gus
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Normally the owner has responded to these kind of posts and it has quickly descended into name-calling, so I don't blame him for avoiding responding.

I'm not interested in the Moochie box as I have a better, cheaper solution using a PS3 or Chromecast.

What I would be wary of is the OTT advertising claims. It's easy to give demos of broadcasts but the viewers have no idea what has been downloaded, which streaming sites have been paid for and what VPN or Smart DNS is being used.

The owner's latest comment on PO Life FB page claimed that Moochie does not need a separate VPN or DNS subscription to get all the UK channels, which is not what it says on the website. So it's hard to tell what people are actually getting when they pay upfront for this box.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:What I would be wary of is the OTT advertising claims. It's easy to give demos of broadcasts but the viewers have no idea what has been downloaded, which streaming sites have been paid for and what VPN or Smart DNS is being used.
I don't think you have any basis for suggesting that their demonstration was fiddled in any way, yes their advertising is OTT but then so are most adverts and few consumers take them at face value.
Santiago wrote:The owner's latest comment on PO Life FB page claimed that Moochie does not need a separate VPN or DNS subscription to get all the UK channels, which is not what it says on the website. So it's hard to tell what people are actually getting when they pay upfront for this box.
Anyone who has been on this site for the last couple of years will know that you can watch UK TV with Filmon without a VPN, but if you want to use catch-up services like iPlayer then you need one. I think Mr Moochie has made his position quite clear on that subject.

I find it quite uncomfortable that a guy who pays to advertise on the forum gets slated regularly, has been accused of being a fraud and of fiddling demonstrations yet nobody has actually commented on his product.

It seems that the objections aren't based on the morality of watching pirated TV programs but mostly on the price which does seem somewhat hypocritical.

Personally I dont approve of the product but if you are going to object to it then at least object for the right reasons.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

It is ok to advertise on the website along with everyone else. It means that I can just ignore it and everything else. The thing, for me anyway, is that it isn't ok to hawk it around in a discussion forum. It's like having someone trying to sell you insurance in the sailing/golf club bar. It is bad form and makes most people hostile. I get the feeling that we do now understand that and now that Mr Moochie has had the good grace to desist, I agree with Allan, so should we.