Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan

Post by Smiley G »

Downloaded and installed this morning (6.08 Gb) well worth it. it is stable and worth upgrading.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan

Post by martyn94 »

Smiley G wrote:Downloaded and installed this morning (6.08 Gb) well worth it. it is stable and worth upgrading.
The Mac mini which is meant to live down here is still about 700km away, so it's a bit theoretical for me as yet. But what are you running it on?
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Martyn, I have PM'd you.
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

El Capitan

Post by jethro »

I keep trying to download this to my Mac Mini running Yosemite and it goes through all the motions, but when I go to About This Mac, there is no sign that El Capitan has come on board. What am I doing wrong ?
an' the wun' cried Mary.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: El Capitan

Post by Smiley G »

jethro wrote:I keep trying to download this to my Mac Mini running Yosemite and it goes through all the motions, but when I go to About This Mac, there is no sign that El Capitan has come on board. What am I doing wrong ?
Did you install it? I only ask because 10.11 takes between 26 & 30 minutes to install.
Look in applications for the El Capitan file, you may need to launch the installation program from there. It is mysterious as mine commenced the installation automatically once I had accepted Ts & Cs etc.
Last edited by Smiley G on Sun 04 Oct 2015 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I installed this yesterday and yes, it took about 30 mins to download. But then, before the actual installation, I had to give permission for it to go ahead and also had to accept some t's and c's.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Helen wrote:I installed this yesterday and yes, it took about 30 mins to download. But then, before the actual installation, I had to give permission for it to go ahead and also had to accept some t's and c's.
You're quite right Helen, I forgot to mention the usual authorisation to instal and accept terms & conditions.
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

On the subject of Macs, can anyone recommend a process or a software to clean my machine up. I converted to Mac about 5 years ago, but have never done any maintenance on it and am clueless. It has just looked after itself really but now it seems to be slowing down quite regularly. Any hints much appreciated.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Admin wrote:On the subject of Macs, can anyone recommend a process or a software to clean my machine up. I converted to Mac about 5 years ago, but have never done any maintenance on it and am clueless. It has just looked after itself really but now it seems to be slowing down quite regularly. Any hints much appreciated.
There is a version of CCleaner (originally Crap Cleaner) for Macs here
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner-mac

God knows whether it achieves much, but I have had no trouble with it.

If you have installed the successive versions of Mac OS, it may just be that a five-year old machine is now a bit underpowered.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

If you have kept up to date with operating systems and have installed Yosemite (although that doesn’t sound like the Kate we know and love), this website has some useful tips on speeding things up.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/24/speed-up ... emite-mac/
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Admin wrote:On the subject of Macs, can anyone recommend a process or a software to clean my machine up. I converted to Mac about 5 years ago, but have never done any maintenance on it and am clueless. It has just looked after itself really but now it seems to be slowing down quite regularly. Any hints much appreciated.
I use CleanMyMac 3 from McPaw, never let me down.
http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac?campaign=s ... ID=&mpaid=
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Thanks everyone - and yes Colin, you stuck that tail right on the donkey's butt!! I just let it keep on rolling til it stops. Havent done anything to it since I got it. :oops:
Will try the various links supplied once I get a spare mo when I'm not using my computer for other stuff. Where does time go as you get older? I'm sure there used to be more hours in a day when I was younger!
Maximus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maximus »

I'm rather concerned to see people recommending these "clean up" apps - you don't need them - at best they don't do much and at worst they are a security risk, especially if they are not downloaded from Apples App store

The best thing you can do to speed up your mac is a "clean install" of the latest compatible operating system - afterwards, copy your files back manually (not using time machine) and download fresh copies of any applications you use - make sure you are using less than 80% of the capacity of the hard disk

Kate - I don't know what hardware you are using - you may or may not be able to run El Capitain but after 5 years you need to do some serious updating !

yep it is time consuming and a bit of a pain but well worth it every couple of years

detailed instructions in this link
http://macs.about.com/od/OSXElCapitan/s ... ur-Mac.htm
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Thanks Maximus
Will look into that. I'm sure you're right about the serious updating - just never seem to get the time. :cry:
Maximus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maximus »

the next rainy afternoon Kate ;-)

if you post details of your system (apple menu/about this mac) Ill look up your options for you if you wish
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Thanks soooooo much
It says
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
Maximus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maximus »

I need a little more - it should say the model, date of manufacture, processor, memory and graphics card

then I can look it up

(you may have to click on system report)
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Any better?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.64f5
Serial Number (system): W8022907DAS
Hardware UUID: E2D5A934-99E1-5209-8399-CF50090A033C
Maximus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maximus »

that is great - nice computer !
- it will easily run El Capitain but I recommend adding more RAM - it is easy to do yourself or I can do it for you for free (will only take 5 mins)

generally the more RAM the better and it will certainly speed up your web browsing etc
you can get it from amazon
http://www.amazon.fr/memory-upgrades-13 ... DRAM&psc=1

adding 4 gb should be enough but you can go more if you are feeling flush

The other thing to consider is the applications you use - if you just use the apple apps then no problem.
If you use older apps that are critical to the way you work then you need to check if they are El Capitain compatible and if there is either an alternative or upgrade
For most people there are plenty of free alternatives to photoshop or office for example that are just as good and in many cases easier to use but that is really for you to decide
If you want to post some apps you couldn't live without I can look them up for you
Other than that you will need an external drive to back up on and a 16gb usb stick to put the installer on

if you need help just give me a shout
(NB I have just PM'ed you)
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks Max. Have replied. :-)