Alfmed

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Alfmed

Post by Sus »

Hi,
I was wondering whether anybody has done courses with Alfmed, either in Perpignan or Ceret and could share their experiences? I am thinking about attending a 2 or 4 week intensive but wanted to make sure it was a worthwhile investment.
Thanks!
Susanne
Zen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Alfmed

Post by Zen »

I'm planning on doing a course with them next April, 2 weeks intensive then 4 weeks conversation classes. Unfortunately though I can't answer your query until next year but would also be interested in hearing from anyone who's been.
Zen
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I did a week-long course at ALFMED in January this year and certainly don't regret it. But there were definitely plus/minus aspects. I think it really depends what you're hoping to get out of the course

The morning 3-hour teaching session in a group of four, was the best part for me. The teacher was excellent, handling our different levels - and the time with her just flew past.

The disappointment was the 'language lab' - the technology was old and temperamental and I gave up using it because of the frustration (as did the others on my course). They may well have updated the equipment since January - it certainly needed to be; but my advice would be to ask about it, in advance.
Quintus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Quintus »

Hi Susanne,
I did a course in Alfmed two years ago for three months. It was ok but not what I expected for that sort of price. The organisational part was not great. Too long breaks making each lesson lasting 45 min rather than an hour. At the beginning I specifically asked for a focus on conversations but it was just a general course.

Since Alfmed, I have found a private tutor who comes to my house and also does lessons by Skype for similar sort of price like in Alfmed. I can see such a difference in my level of French and really find it a good investment and time well spent. Highly recommended.

If you want, please send me a private message and I will be happy to share my tutor contact details with you.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Alfmed

Post by Sus »

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's reply, very helpful. I am still looking at options and might combine the intensive course with conversation or private lessons.

Zen, I will probably do the course before you, so will drop you a note sometime in Feb to let you know my thoughts.

Thanks
Sus
Zen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Alfmed

Post by Zen »

Hi Sus, that's great thanks
Zen
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Alfmed

Post by Sus »

Hi,

Thanks for everyone's comments again. I wanted to share that I spoke with Alfmed and apparently the equipment in the language lab has been renewed and there is a 15min break once a day.

However, I have decided against taking a course with them as I am hoping to take the DELF/DALF exams and despite what it says on their website, they don't actually offer the prep for those examens.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I would recommend Laura MClellan for French lessons. Very dynamic.
http://anglophone-direct.com/listing/franglais-66/