Stolen Bag at Barcelona Airport

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

AliB64
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stolen Bag at Barcelona Airport

Post by AliB64 »

I know this has come up before but it does no harm to raise the subject again. We flew into Barcelona just over a week ago, arriving about 9pm. We'd arranged car hire via one of the companies with an office in the renatl car park opposite the terminal building. Having completed the paperwork we went to the car, put our cases in the boot and looked round the car for any additional bumps etc. There were a few, so my husband went back to the office to get the paperwork corrected. I got in the front passenger seat, put my bag on the floor and was just about to close the door when a smartly dressed man came to the car and asked if I was Spanish or English. Replying English, he proceeded to say we needed a key for the car hub caps or we'd have problems if we got a flat tyre. He indicated to come and see and, like a fool, I got out the car, didn't shut the door properly, and left my bag where it was. He took me to the opposite side of the car, bent to 'show' me the problem, at the same time unscrewing the tyre valve cap which he dropped 'accidentally' on the ground. While I was getting the cap he said bye and walked quickly towards the car park exit. I'm sure I don't need to tell you the rest! I went back to the front passenger door, which was now wide open, and my bag was gone. I didn't hear or see anything but he was obviously 'working' with a second person. They got passports, driving licences, credit cards, cash, make up, medication etc. I'd read about these scams and never thought for a minute that I'd ever fall for anything like that but they totally got me! He was so plausible and it never crossed my mind that these scams could happen in the car rental car parks. Naive or what!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks AliB. Always good to have a reminder but so sorry it happened to you.
Here are a few more to bear in mind.
http://anglophone-direct.com/spain-pick ... s-muggers/
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Oh AliB, what a horrible thing to happen, but thank you for sharing the detail of how it happened. Don't be too hard on yourself....

I hope that the process of sorting out new passports/cancelling cards etc hasn't been too onerous.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

So sorry to hear about your experience and it is a good reminder as I am also frequently flying from Barcelona.

I also wouldn't be too hard on yourself, unfortunately, these scams are often so simple and convincing that it is difficult to catch yourself in the moment.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

A really awful experience. I experienced something similar at Madrid Airport about 12 years ago. I was meeting a colleague from the UK. We were about to put her case into the boot. She had left her handbag on the roof of the car when a South American man approached us waving keys at us and asking if they belonged to us. I knew they weren't mine but as she went to check her bag it had gone! It all happened in a matter of seconds. Inside was her passport, credit cards etc plus all the company money in cash that she'd been given for our trip! However, you don't need to be at an Airport in Spain to be robbed. Last September in Thuir, an elderly lady was stopped by a few youths asking the time. When she looked away from them to look at her watch they snatched her bag and pulled her gold chain away from around her neck!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

There are some really nasty b******s around aren't there? Bet they'd be furious if this happened to their mother, sister, grandmother.......or maybe not!
Agree with Daphne.....don't beat yourself up about it. These are exerienced con artists who actually make their living in this way. You're just an decent, honest person. Why would you assume that every helpful person who approaches you is a scammer? We become very cynical, once we suspect every potential kind gesture.......but in places like Barcelona I suppose we have to be suspicious, sadly, of anything resembling non solicited help or advice.
hariwallace
Rank 0
Rank 0

Barcelona airport

Post by hariwallace »

Same scenario, happened to us in 2000 as we were returning an Avis car in its car park. We were still living in the States, what a nightmare.

I thought that the rental companies should beef up their security. The thief was in their lot. I thought that he was taking the mileage as my hubby went in to pay.
AliB64
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AliB64 »

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I've cut myself some slack now and, as my husband said, no-one was hurt. I posted in the hope that others wont get caught out as I did.