Calçots

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Calçots

Post by martyn94 »

It's their time of year, and I bought some. I've only had them from other people, but I think I know how to cook them. Can anyone point me to a version of the sauce which I can make from the local greengrocer/supermarket? They tend to involve peppers (which might mean anything) with unfamiliar Catalan names.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Calçots

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:It's their time of year, and I bought some. I've only had them from other people, but I think I know how to cook them. Can anyone point me to a version of the sauce which I can make from the local greengrocer/supermarket? They tend to involve peppers (which might mean anything) with unfamiliar Catalan names.
Martyn, you are always telling people to do a simple internet search, why not follow your own advice.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=calco ... ent=safari
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

martyn94 wrote:It's their time of year, and I bought some. I've only had them from other people, but I think I know how to cook them. Can anyone point me to a version of the sauce which I can make from the local greengrocer/supermarket? They tend to involve peppers (which might mean anything) with unfamiliar Catalan names.
In my experience the peppers are less important, any sweet pepper will do, or add some chilli if you want it more spicy, but make sure you get good quality almonds, they really make that sauce for me!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Here's a nice one.
Somebody sent it to me ages ago but I can't remember who so I've never used it.

1 mature tomato per person.
100 grams of toasted almonds
1 entire bulb of garlic
1 “nyoraâ€￾(type of dried pepper)
1 litre of olive oil
A little parsley, vinegar, salt, a small chili (optional)

Blacken the tomatoes and garlic over the flames (not embers), make sure that the flame isn’t too “liveâ€￾ as they need to be cooked.
Scald the “nyorasâ€￾in boiling water .
Crush or blend the almonds with the parsley and the chili (if you want a spicy sauce). Then mix in the peeled tomatoes and garlic and the pulp of the nyoras (discarding the seeds). The sauce is made by slowly stirring in the olive oil. Add salt and vinegar to taste.
Bon app
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Last edited by martyn94 on Wed 08 Mar 2017 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
Martyn, you are always telling people to do a simple internet search, why not follow your own advice.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=calco ... ent=safari
I thought that I had implied that I had, though I didn't find exactly your hit. What exactly is "sweet pepper powder"? Presumably pimenton dulce, but why guess?