Moving a single piece of furniture internationally

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
Phil E
Rank 1
Rank 1

Moving a single piece of furniture internationally

Post by Phil E »

To keep a long story short I have a cabinet of mostly sentimental value to move from the USA to France. Shippers want a pretty penny for a palate. I simply have this item. It's too heavy for fed ex...more than a palate. I'm trying to find a way to get it to Perpignan. Speed is not an issue.

Any ideas or do I just get a palate for a grand and bring more stuff?

Thanks
Phil E
Rank 1
Rank 1

International moves

Post by Phil E »

Dante must have made an international move!

If I can hold my breath two more weeks I will be in the PO!

Tell me it's worth six months touring inferno.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

we also moved from the US and packed our stuff on pallets ourselves, we only had 2 in the end as we sold almost everything. we got a pallet and plastic wrap from home depot and then just gave dimensions and weight to the shipping company. We used CFR Rinkens and the cost was below US$500, they arranged transport door to door, you can actually follow the vessels' progress on line. be prepared for the paperwork on departure and arrival in France, it will test your sense of humour to the limit :twisted:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

My sister shipped some stuff from Australia last year. Mostly a couple of bulky leather sofas, so not really your situation. But it may be worth noting that the marginal cost for extra stuff - at least in our case - went down markedly after the initial hit: a lot of the shipper’s costs don’t vary much by volume. We ended up moving more than we originally intended, including stuff (like my bike) that no-one would sanely have shipped by itself. It was easier than finding a new home for it in OZ.