Coffee morning

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
Bryan66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Coffee morning

Post by Bryan66 »

Hi

Anyone know of a regular coffee morning for ex pats to meet up and discuss the meaning of life?

Cheers

Bryan
Bryan Tyrrell
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Hi Bryan66. In case you don't manage to find a group, here's a link that may answer some of your earthly questions

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 05734.html

:) :)
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

I don´t know of any groups like that. I think most of us came down here to avoid that sort of thing and to integrate with life here. There is a U3A group in the PO that has a lot of organised activities, otherwise maybe set up your own group, there maybe people on this forum who´d like to join.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

It's 42, apparently . But the guy who discovered the fact died a few days ago (at a ripe enough age) so it might be hard to investigate why.
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

Douglas Adams died in 2001 at the advanced age of 49. He it was who discovered the incontrovertible fact of the answer to all questions physical and metaphysical being 42. Greatly missed.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

martyn94 wrote:It's 42, apparently
That was the answer to the "ultimate question". The ultimate question turns out to be "What is 6 x 9?". The answer is indeed 42 if you do the calculation in base 13 but Adams said that that was an unintentional coincidence!

Russell
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Well said Florence. Absolutely bang on.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

jethro wrote:Douglas Adams died in 2001 at the advanced age of 49. He it was who discovered the incontrovertible fact of the answer to all questions physical and metaphysical being 42. Greatly missed.
Sorry: I was confusing him with Terry Pratchett. Not really my end of the literary landscape.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Florence wrote:I don´t know of any groups like that. I think most of us came down here to avoid that sort of thing and to integrate with life here. There is a U3A group in the PO that has a lot of organised activities, otherwise maybe set up your own group, there maybe people on this forum who´d like to join.
I believe that there is a group in Port-Vendres which answers pretty much to Bryan66's description, though I've never gone. It seems innocuous enough in moderation, like still buying Marmite.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Florence wrote:I don´t know of any groups like that. I think most of us came down here to avoid that sort of thing and to integrate with life here. There is a U3A group in the PO that has a lot of organised activities, otherwise maybe set up your own group, there maybe people on this forum who´d like to join.
I can imagine you not choosing to go, I probably wouldn't myself. But I can't imagine moving about 1000kms just to be spared the temptation.
Bryan66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Coffee morning

Post by Bryan66 »

Thanks for your replies.
Just to let you know that I want to integrate into the local community and value local knowledge of how to avoid pitfalls. Hence, why I use this site in the first place. I think a coffee morning would be an excellent way of networking and helping us fulfilling our dreams of a life away from the UK.
Bryan Tyrrell
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Bryan

I see you live in Prades. I know for certain that there is an active ex-pat network at Amelie les Bains which is not a million miles away from you. We have some English speaking friends. All of whom we have met either by chance or by way of introduction.

As Florence has already said many of us prefer to live relatively low profile lives. You will meet other English speakers and make friends. But it takes time I'm afraid.

Gus
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Gus Morris wrote:Amelie les Bains which is not a million miles away from you.
Not a million miles as the crow flies (or eagle perhaps, over the top of the Canigou) but about TWO million miles if you drive. And at the end of that white-knuckle experience it'll be a brandy you want, not coffee!
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Webdoc wrote:
Gus Morris wrote:Amelie les Bains which is not a million miles away from you.
Not a million miles as the crow flies (or eagle perhaps, over the top of the Canigou) but about TWO million miles if you drive. And at the end of that white-knuckle experience it'll be a brandy you want, not coffee!
I stand corrected. Slip of the pen. Should have written Vernet les Bains. Silly boy!

Gus
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

In between a couple of visits in the Conflent courtesy of the Journée Partrimoine, we lunched in the church square in Prades. It was not that busy, but there were no less than 5 British couples eating in the same restaurant. So I wouldn't imagine it being too difficult to find others to share a coffee with.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Florence

Glad to see someone else on here who made use of the Journée du Partrimoine.

We tend to drop into the Lidl at Prades on our way to Mont Louis. Come to think of it there is almost always at least one other set of English speakers in there. Which tends to reinforce your observation.

Gus
epidaurussun
Rank 0
Rank 0

Coffee/meet ups near Banyuls-dels-Aspres

Post by epidaurussun »

Does anyone know of any coffee groups for ex pats and/or English/French conversation groups near me?

Thanks
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Coffee/meet ups near Banyuls-dels-Aspres

Post by Gus Morris »

epidaurussun wrote:Does anyone know of any coffee groups for ex pats and/or English/French conversation groups near me?

Thanks
Short answer is no. But then I don't live in your neck of the woods!

Looking at your recent posts I get the impression you want to improve your spoken French in order to be able to seek work.You might do worse than volunteer with one of the charities that helps the less fortunate. Croix Rouge, Restos du Coeur, Secours Populaire etc. They are always looking for helping hands. Total immersion is a well tried method of rapidly gaining experience of a language.

Just a thought.

Gus