L'Hermione

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

L'Hermione

Post by Gus Morris »

We got up early and off we went to a spot we know where we could park and see it all while avoiding the throng. The arrival was super impressive and she even docked at exactly 10.00 am as advertised. It was a pity she didn't arrive under sail but it was a calm, sunny day. Not like it would have been a week ago!

It's a bit naughty but I couldn't resist taking a peek at the AD FB page. Three different posts. An advert for a resto in PV, a link to L'Indep and comments from peeps who seem to have followed the arrival on a video link.

Did anybody out there brave the crowds and security and watch from the quayside?

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Yes of course, though I just walked down to Place Castellane. I doubt that they would ever try to work it into PV under sail, with (presumably) a mostly amateur crew, even if their insurers or the harbour pilots would wear it. Sailing boats don’t just go where you point them, especially if they are square-rigged.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

We, and several thousand others, watched as L’Hermione slowly approached the harbour mouth and headed for the open sea. Although there was not a breath of wind, and the tricolor hung limply over the stern, some of the topsails were unfurled.

She was an impressive sight as, accompanied by a flotilla of small craft, she rounded Cap Bear. Our last view was of her heading away with all her sails unfurled and lit by the setting sun. She had a faintly ghostly quality, like a painting by Turner.

Gus
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Our last view was of her heading away with all her sails unfurled and lit by the setting sun. She had a faintly ghostly quality, like a painting by Turner.

What a lovely evocative description. Thank you.