Masked up!

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Sweaty Betty
Rank 2
Rank 2

Masked up!

Post by Sweaty Betty »

Anyone found a where to buy face masks? Tried the pharmacy and the Carrefour in Larqoue but no luck. I did read somewhere that volunteers are making them - but not where to get them! Any ideas?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Masked up!

Post by Kate »

My husband has just been told that chemists have been told to only supply to health pros, who use an average of 18 per day. Bonne chance quand meme! :-)
gleber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gleber »

Paper coffee filters a viable substitute for a mask?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ouf! :D Bearing in mind that masks aren't supposed to protect you from catching the virus, only from spitting on people, maybe coffee filters would be better than nowt! :D
Phil E
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Phil E »

If you google it there are a number of articles that tell you the manner and material for making your own. As Kate said, they will not stop you from getting it but they help prevent you from spreading it everywhere. It takes the hospital grade masks that are in short supply to have a weave small enough to stop the virus.

Stay in if you can and stay healthy.
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

The lady who runs Le Dé à Couture in the Avenue de la Vallée Heureuse in Sorede has just made eight masks for us at 5 euros each. She supplies them free to nurses and care workers and each one incorporates a pocket for installing a filter. I'm using filters from Miele vacuum cleaners. Some people are using coffee filters. Whatever, these are not medical supplies and will only stop you from spitting accidentally at other people. They will not filter out the virus if it's coming for you.
an' the wun' cried Mary.