Contribution Audiovisuel

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Lescr31
Rank 1
Rank 1

Contribution Audiovisuel

Post by Lescr31 »

I have just rec'd my Taxe d'habitation bill for 2021, as a non resident 2nd home owner. I have noticed that the Contribution a l'audiovisuel public for 2021 is listed as 0.00 ? I have always paid this as part of my Taxe d'habitation bill. Has the way of payment changed ? or should I contact the tax office ?
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Contribution Audiovisuel

Post by Gus Morris »

I don't know if this helps. If you were a French resident then you would not be liable to pay your audiovisuel provided you paid it on your residence principale. On your residence principale the contribution is still collected via the Taxe Fonciere system even though you are no longer liable for payment of the TF.

If you don't have a TV then you are not liable. There is talk of closing the loophole whereby, at least in theory, you can avoid paying TF if you only watch TV via the internet.

I suspect that the average Frenchman would do nothing even if he thought he was liable.

Gus
Lescr31
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lescr31 »

Gus, my principal home is in the UK therefore I would need to pay for the French home.
Just checked the Taxe Fonciere bill and there isn't anything on that either
Lescr31
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lescr31 »

I found this on Connexion:

Which groups are exempt from paying France’s annual redevance télé licence fee?
Most French households which contain a television must pay a redevance télé, but there are some exceptions:

- People whose revenu fiscal de référence (net taxable annual income figure) is €0

- Over-60s who do not pay impôt sur la fortune immobilière (IFI) and whose income does not exceed a certain threshold (see below).

I can only think that there is an anomaly in the fact we are over 60, but we have no income in France (we are UK Tax Residents), therefore net taxable annual income figure is 0 ! If so that would mean over 60's non residents would be exempt from paying the redevance télé (which can't be right). I will give the tax office a call tomorrow.
Lescr31
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lescr31 »

Have spent 3 hours in telephone queues to speak to the Tax Office in Ceret, only to be cut off at 12 noon each time ;-(
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Gus suspects "that the average Frenchman would do nothing even if he thought he was liable". I suspect that applies to the average Englishman as well.

Why not send an email to the Tax Office expressing your concern? If there is no response, you will have done what you can to alert them to a mistake.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

A couple of minor points. Firstly I made a mistake when I said that Contribution Audiovisuel was made via the Taxe Fonciere mechanism. Should have said Taxe d'Habitation. It's old age that does it, not the drink!

Not that it matters but somehow this topic has duplicated itself. Is this a technical glitch?

Gus
Lescr31
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lescr31 »

Heard from the Tax Office - it seems that the TV license fee is not automatic on the Taxe Habitaion for 2nd home (overseas residents). They explained that the TV should be declared in the French Tax return, or if no French Tax return (as we have no French income) we have to advise them that we have a TV in the home. They haven't told us how we need to advise them - waiting to hear.
Anthea & Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anthea & Tim »

Every year, normally in March, we get a letter from the Perpignan Tax Office asking us to confirm that we have a TV. The Contribution Audiovisuel is then included in Tax d'Habitation. One year it was not included and we received a supplememtary impot a few months later just for the Contribution Audiovisuel.
Lescr31
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lescr31 »

I gave up trying to get hold of the Tax Office by phone, however, after several e-mails I got a reply enclosing a RIB, with no instruction of how to confirm that the payment would be for the Contribution Audiovisual.
I decided not to this blindly, and wrote them a long letter, enclosing a cheque. Haven't received a reply and the cheque hasn't been cashed. one for the list when over at the end of Feb ;-(
Lescr31
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lescr31 »

I finally had a reply re my Contribution Audiovisuel, I had my cheque sent back with a note to wait for the tax demand !!!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hang in there. At the moment they are talking of scrapping it completely.