A place to live

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

Stevieg
Rank 0
Rank 0

A place to live

Post by Stevieg »

Hi. I am new to the Forum and this is my first post so I hope you can help. I would like to move to the P-O area. We have family in Perpignan and I would ideally like to live within half an hour's drive of the city. But I don't know the area too well and I can see myself driving round aimlessly, if I am not careful. I have thought about Azille but it is a bit far from Perpignan and I like Thuir, but that's about it. If you have any suggestions as to characterful villages, I will happily add them to my (very short) list. Thank you very much Stevieg
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: A place to live

Post by Florence »

We came down for 2 holidays to look around. Internet was only in it´s infancy so had to research on our own. All part of the adventure of moving. (Also had to find work here before we came)
Stevieg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stevieg »

Thank you
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Yes, Thuir is a nice town. Similar size town is Ille -sur-Tet, probably about 25 min from Perpignan. You also have the possibility of getting to Perpignan by train. Dozens of smaller towns and villages in the same radius. Worth drawing a circle around 20 min from Perpignan on a map and visiting lots of places. Remember, "one man's meat is another man's poison" so recommendations tend to be very personal.
Russell (in Millas)
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Russell is right. It's an impossible question to answer. You need to explore for yourself. Two observations. The majority of English speakers seem to live in the Ceret-Prades corridor to the west of the A9. Seaside towns can get very busy in the summer.

Bon chance

Gus

PS. You say you have family down here. What do they suggest?
marobin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marobin »

Hello, are you planning to buy a property not far from Perpignan? We are putting our property in Thuir on the market very shortly. A modern bungalow in the Domaine des Caves area, at the southern end of the town.
Stevieg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stevieg »

Hi thank you for contacting me. I am really looking for a village house close to the centre. Good luck with your sale.
Regards
Steve
marobin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marobin »

Thank you for your reply and also good luck to you with your purchase. The old centre is lovely, lively with many great places to eat at lunchtime. Also the weekly market and events. We will miss it.
SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB »

After some research and exploration of the area I settled on Céret - more a small town than a village, but on the edge you can feel as if you're in the country, and it has a lot to offer in terms of cafés, restaurants, shops etc. Has a excellent art museum, its main attraction.
Last edited by SteveB on Thu 20 Oct 2022 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Stevieg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stevieg »

Thank you, I will take a look,
Kind regards
Steve
Gastoom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gastoom »

Florence wrote: Fri 16 Sep 2022 12:21 We came down for 2 holidays to look around. Internet was only in it´s infancy so had to research on our own. All part of the adventure of moving. (Also had to find work here before we came)
I agree with this, even in the more internet dominated age - it's good to get lost a little and discover some things on your own. Any time I've moved, I consider getting lost and turned around part of the experience of getting familiar with a place. Obviously, you have to know what you're getting into as far as where you'll live and work, but it's generally helpful to discover some things on your own. You can find a lot of hidden gems that way, or parts of the area you didn't know you'd like.