The Forum

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

The Forum

Post by Pighunter »

Apologies for starting a new topic for this but I can't find the thread I'm looking for. As it's raining I have time to take a break from the brushcutter and give you my 2p worth.

I look several times a day at the forum, it is a very useful resource and it is a shame that it has been dying a slow death. I hate Facebook, don't want their cookies infecting my devices and using my information and contacts to bombard me with marketing for stuff I neither need nor want, or to sell on to others, and I really don't want to see what somebody had for dinner last night or to be Elton John's friend. The fact that they force you to accept their poisonous cookies speaks volumes and I don't see the need to put my life on the Internet for any random person to view ether. So you won't find me on there!

As far as the forum is concerned, I say or ask something if I think it will be useful and never post for the sake of it, unlike some in the past who seemed to feel it necessary to reply to every post, even if they had nothing to say that could be remotely interesting to anyone else, or to force you to read their often ridiculous opinions, although everyone is of course entitled to their own. There is a happy medium somewhere between the current cemetery and former outbreaks of verbal diarrhoea and bias.

I haven't replied to the post covid thread as I have nothing of substance to say (and couldn't find it!) I was here through and post covid and nothing special happened, just happy that such a major disruption to our lives is, for now at least, nothing other than a distant unpleasant memory.

If the vast majority of people are happy to be on and use Facebook good for them, do we know how many visit the forum on a regular or occasional basis?

My only plea is don't shut it down as there is a lot of useful information on here, even if some is rather out of date, but can of course be updated.

There you go, the fact that I have no music on my phone and prefer to listen to CDs probably speaks volumes, live and let live, each to their own. I'm happy out here in the woods but don't want one of my useful lifelines to civilisation to be severed.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The Forum

Post by alan »

I think the thread you were looking for is https://anglophone-direct.com/forum/vie ... 26#p126526

I appreciate you "say or ask something if (you) think it will be useful and never post for the sake of it". As someone who posts from time to time, getting any kind of response would at least show that the post has been read.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Indeed Alan, your posts (and the vast majority of others such as they are) are interesting and relevant and I would always reply if I have something useful or an alternative view to add.

I suppose the current popular solution if you have nothing to add verbally is a like or thumbs up facility which as far as I am aware isn't available on here.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I have always been a terrible salesperson, so I'm hardly selling the forum when I say....although I'm not a FB fan, it is rather nice to let someone know you like what they've written or you're shedding a tear for them, or laughing at their jokes....without actually making the effort to write anything. It's a kind of solidarity thing. Totally get you but can't be assed to reply.
I'll put this thread on FB and see if anyone joins in. Watch this (big) space.