Best restaurant in greater Perpignan area???

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Best restaurant in greater Perpignan area???

Post by rbg »

I have my lovely SIL here this weekend and she loves her grub. I want to take her to a really nice restaurant on Sat night.
I'd love to hear your suggestions - I want somewhere where there is going to be:
a) good quality food
b) nice atmosphere ( french style , ie not asian, italian etc)
c) people
d) an affordable nice wine list
Within a 5 km radius of Perpignan, pref South or East side
Any ideas?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

I'd love to know too!!!!!
Look forward to seeing the replies
Puddles
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Puddles »

Not tried it myself , but I was told by a very nice person that the resturant at ' The Park Hotel 'is VERY good. I think however it may depend on just how much you want to spend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.
Carmen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Best restaurant in greater Perpignan area???

Post by Carmen »

The VIP Karen, its cute, nice people and not too expensive.

rbg wrote:I have my lovely SIL here this weekend and she loves her grub. I want to take her to a really nice restaurant on Sat night.
I'd love to hear your suggestions - I want somewhere where there is going to be:
a) good quality food
b) nice atmosphere ( french style , ie not asian, italian etc)
c) people
d) an affordable nice wine list
Within a 5 km radius of Perpignan, pref South or East side
Any ideas?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

www.augustinn.fr/home.php?Lang=Fr

This was recommended to us, we have been a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Karen
Here's my very best choice for a restaurant with your requirements. I was there about a year back but I checked with a woman who visits there often. Here we go.

Le Baratin - It's located in the central part of Perpignan near the Castillet.

This place is full of atmosphere and it's mostly young people. The food is very good and the service was great. I didn't pay so I cannot give you the prices but it's regular.

My friend said that Le Bar a Thym is another place which is good. You'll take a look and report.

Let me know if you visit Le Baratin. I plan on returning-soon.

Blackduff
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Thanks for the ideas,
Blackduff, I've eaten in the Bar a Thym, very nice too ( nicer for lunch I think though) . However, i can't find Le Baratin anywhere when I do a search. Am I being stoopid?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Karen
I found a web site but it's for Paris. The outside is exactly at the restaurant in Perpignan. I'll find the business card somewhere and get this back to you. This was a great place. The food was great but the main item was the ambiance. Maybe I was a bit too old for the clients but that's okay, I can watch.

I'll be back again.

Blackduff
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Okay, maybe I didn't get the name correct (actually this was passed from someone else) but here's the correct place.

Le Barathym
7 rue Cardeurs
66000 Perpignan
04 68 50 98 14

Pasquale told me that the restaurant was still open and the food is still very good. I think her brother was one of the cooks , when I was there.

Enjoy

Blackduff
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

Our favourite by far is Mas Vermeil, the service is great and the food is excellent. Can be a pricey, though well worth it for a special occasion.
Julie
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Forgot to report back - we ended up going to the Barathym ( details above as supplied by BD, thanks!)
It was a freezing cold night and we were very warmly welcomed by attentive staff. We were given a large round table with a big sofa and soft cushions for our party of 4 - it was all very cosy. The decor is austere enough though , very modern with beige and cream colours, cold slate tiles, lots of steel etc . If I has to be picky , I'd say that it wasn't very french .. you could have been anywhere in the world.
The food was excellent though, we were 4, my other half, SIL, my nephew of 12 years and moi.
Three of us opted for the formule for 30 euros which was excellent value. For entrees we all went for the mille feuille of aubergines, goats cheese, tomatoes, herbs. Delicious. There was another choice too but it escapes me.
SIL and OH opted for the lotte and were oohing and ahing appreciatively. My adventurous nephew had the magret de canard in a rich banyuls sauce served rare. He actually picked up his plate and licked it clean, much to the delight of the chef!
I went for the filet mignon, with pine nuts and honey which was yummy.
Desserts with the formule were fondant au choc and an apple crumble. Both good.
The wine list was quite short and the usual local faves were on there - we had two bottles of nice red.
Bill was 154euros for 4.
Rating : 8/10 for food
7/10 for decor ( a bit too modern for my liking)
7/10 for ambience ( french people taking themselves rather too seriously type of place)
9/10 for service

As an aside, we left it late in the evening to book and it was the 8th restaurant we rang - the rest were full AND it was the last table at the Barathym.
Vive La Crise!