Old wine barrel, new use.

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Yogateacher
Rank 1
Rank 1

Old wine barrel, new use.

Post by Yogateacher »

I'm a bit of a green, re-cycling kind of guy, so I felt very pleased with myself when I realised that I didn't have to buy an ugly plastic container to use as a water butt. Wineries sell off their old barrels cheaply - I paid thirty euros - and they make great water butts. You can buy wooden taps for them on ebay for a few euros and with a water diverter for your drain-pipe you're in business. I think everyone should have one, or two! They look fantastic. I made a little base for mine from two courses of blockwork, so that I could get the watering can under the tap properly. It's a simple little DIY job that helps the environment in a small way.
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

Nice one, post a photo if poss?
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Around March-April I will have a few to sell. Let me know if you want one.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Old wine barrel, new use.

Post by mrob343 »

Yogateacher wrote:I'm a bit of a green, re-cycling kind of guy, so I felt very pleased with myself when I realised that I didn't have to buy an ugly plastic container to use as a water butt. Wineries sell off their old barrels cheaply - I paid thirty euros - and they make great water butts. You can buy wooden taps for them on ebay for a few euros and with a water diverter for your drain-pipe you're in business. I think everyone should have one, or two! They look fantastic. I made a little base for mine from two courses of blockwork, so that I could get the watering can under the tap properly. It's a simple little DIY job that helps the environment in a small way.
Nice idea yoga,
Keep some in reserve for summer though.... :)
I had the same syetem on my house in Portugal many moons ago....
It worked a treat for the vegie patch! :)
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

They make excellent large pots for plants/small shrubs too. I bought several old beer barrels in the UK when the breweries went over to metal ones. Cut them in half..... et voila !

I guess you'd need a lot of compost to fill half a wine one,though.
Yogateacher
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yogateacher »

Santiago wrote:Around March-April I will have a few to sell. Let me know if you want one.
Thanks Santiago. I took the last two barrels from the large cave in St Genis. I gave one to my friend Phil and kept one for myself, but I'd really like another three, so I'll see you in April! I'll PM you nearer the time to make sure they are available and I'll buy a few bottles of your wine au même temps. Excellent web-site by the way.

James
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

john wrote:I guess you'd need a lot of compost to fill half a wine one,though.
.. which reminds me that Netto (sub of Intermarché) in Carcassonne is selling composted earth in 50 liter sacks each weighing 12 kilos (light loam compost) at under 3 euros each - well, they were when I bought 30 sacks back in autumn. They were out of stock for some time but now they're back - though I didn't check the price on the current supply - maybe a bit higher?. Compare the price with those of your usual garden centres and DIY!!

If they're selling them in the PO, they're a real bargain!
http://fc1.1bis.com/netto/map.asp?modul ... apScale=-1
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes,Netto in Le Boulou had them recently at that price. As you say,Rog,a bargain.

Compare with the rip off 9€ a bag in the garden centres.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

john wrote:Yes,Netto in Le Boulou had them recently at that price. As you say, Rog, a bargain.

Compare with the rip off 9€ a bag in the garden centres.
Well you gotta charge extra for the (genetically modified to improve voracity) snails' and
slugs' eggs craftily inserted so you'll be buying followup "anti-S" pellets at 15 euros the bag!
I deal in Logic!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

That does sound quite cheap. The question is how fertile the compost is.

I've been hunting around for fertilization ideas. We have two cheicken farms nearby but they both already give their stuff to some bigger vineyards who come with trucks. The local stables give me manure but I need an awful lot to cover a hectare.

Now I'm experimenting with soil stimulants to try and reduce the need for fertilizer.

Not a subject I fully understand TBH.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Santiago wrote:Not a subject I fully understand TBH.
This may help - a little, though, of course, it's promotional!!
http://www.ecologycompany.com/agriculture.html

For some reason, I was always under the impression that grapevines produce better fruit quality for wine from poorer soil.
I never remember seeing a vineyard planted in rich black loamy water retaining soil in France, Italy, Germany, Greece, etc.
However, what do I know about it - that's just a personal observation...
I deal in Logic!