Lemon Tree

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Lemon Tree

Post by collioure_bee »

Just bought one in Auchan, nice size and at just 24euros seemed cheap compared to others I've seen out here.

Couple of questions to anyone who'd know.

Is it something you have to keep well watered? Is it true it is better to keep it in a smaller pot for more fruit?

Any advice would be helpful. Ta.
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Water them when the soil around the tree starts to become dry. Give them a good watering when you do water – but they don't like to be kept damp.

Mist the leaves every now and again.

Prune your lemon tree lightly in the early spring so that it has the right shape when the rapid growth starts in the Spring.

If you want to get lemons from your tree you will need to feed it regularly. There are plenty of specific lemon and citrus feeds on the market.

Don't re-pot too often. Re-pot a lemon tree once every three or four years. They don't like to be moved and are fussy enough already, so don't make work for yourself.
My lemon tree is kept in a pot and is now three years old. He's still quite small but my last harvest gave me 24 lemons!

Good luck!
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Cheers Thumbs.

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

We have 2 lemon trees.

The first one is in the soil and came with the house...we didn't even realise it WAS a lemon tree for about 18 months, as it had no fruit. Having nursed it back to health (water and agrume fertiliser) over a couple of years or so, it now has about 12 lemons.

We bought the second one, a 'quatre saisons', and keep it in a large pot, also watering and fertilising. It's doing very well after about 3 years, and at the moment we have about 30 ripe lemons, and some blossom and buds. BUT this has been a fairly haphazard cultivation, and we are NOT experts!!!

In the summer I do spray from time to time with some stuff to stop leaf miners (mineurs des feuilles). Forgotten the name, sorry
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Funnily enough,we've had absolutely NO luck with lemon trees,but our orange/clementine ones have been great.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Thanks for all the advice.