Alarming drop in Passenger numbers for Perpi airport

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Alarming drop in Passenger numbers for Perpi airport

Post by thumbelina »

No shit, Sherlock :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.la-clau.net/info/le-frequent ... comentaris

If you read the comments, I reckon one of them might be from our very own dimidu! :D
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

I know I'm not very wide awake at the moment but.........it appears that those comments were made in 2017 !!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I wonder if they realise that the fact that Ryanair had absolutely NO flights ex Perps during the period in question (Jan to Mar 2010) might have a teensy weensy bit to do with this fall in traffic?

The point that others make about Rivesaltes being scruffy is a fair one. Several visitors that we've had have commented how it gives a very bad first (and last) impression of the area.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Yes thumbelina! I've made a comment on this article. During winter season, Perpignan will be connected to Paris Orly and Brussels-Charleroi. I find that it's stupid that Ryanair no flies between Perpignan and Stansted 2 times per week during winter season because there is potential during winter season too. But, the CCI is in discutions with Easyjet but I can't tell more about this because it's secret and I must keep secret :)
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

As a matter of interest,Dimi,have Ryanair explained to you why they have decided to stop flying into Perpignan during the winter.? The only 2 reasons I can see are that there is no demand,which you say is untrue OR that they would like to use that aircraft on another,more profitable ,route.

What is even more bizarre is that it looks like they have stopped flying into Carcassonne next winter too.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

No, I've no email to contact Ryanair unfortunately. But I contact Flybe, Easyjet, Vueling and Air France wy e-mail when I nedd some informations. I don't understand why they dont' fly between Perpignan and Stansted. What's more, they need to have new routes... because they will have 50 places more than last winter and if they don't want their Boeing to be grounded, it's important that the open new routes during winter!
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Rivesaltes is scruffy but we are lucky enough to use a country route - past loads of wine tasting outlets which I have never tried :(
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

The reality is that the Chamber of Commerce and Industry structure that runs Perpignan airport - with majority control with the Region and only a minority for the PO/Perpignan area - must be inflexible and uncommercial and is gradually losing the battle to keep Ryanair services.

With a lack of investment for decades, Ryanair winter flights to Stansted chopped for a second year, summer services slipping and the rapid build-up of flights using the hubs at Girona and Barcelona (which seem to be much less affected by weather problems and ATC and other strikes than Perpignan), the writing is on the wall. Are there any signs that the managers at Perpignan realise this - or even care (because no doubt Air France will be persuaded to keep the Paris route open indefinitely)? The story seems to be similar at Carcassonne except that they don't have Air France to fall back on.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

john wrote:I wonder if they realise that the fact that Ryanair had absolutely NO flights ex Perps during the period in question (Jan to Mar 2010) might have a teensy weensy bit to do with this fall in traffic?
Is that not the classic tactic of a biased statistician ? Perpignan is on self-destruct , or is it hoping for a Govt. subsidy?

Ryanair has contrived to be a bus service which is overtly bad for families but good for irregular commuters, booze trippers and rugby fans.
That in itself is a narrow business base (too narrow by my view) but Perpignan is no good for booze trippers !
The irregular commuters were never going to sustain a service IMHO.

As an example of something similar. On a smaller scale locally we have lost our evening bus route. The subsidy per passenger was too much (austerity austerity) but nobody mentioned the self-fulfilling prophecy that with a bus timetable that depositted you at least an hour too early for theatre/restaurant/pub and picked you up only at closing time then only the 'yoof' with good livers would use it. :)
(Continually changing and even hiding the Leicester bus stop didn't help but that is another story).
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Hi from Switzerland!
Talking about public transport, I got a card on arrival last Monday which entitles me to use any transport in Kanton Zürich ... train bus tram boat chairlift etc anytime daily after 0900 for 3 weeks I am here. Cost about €90..

The weather is sun sun sun 31C and life's great!!
Hope it keeps like that till I leave again 16July to fly bach to Toulouse.

Took nice photos yesterday of the Singapore Airlines A380 in dock, taxiing and takeoff HUGE bird!!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Alarming drop in Passenger numbers for Perpi airport

Post by opas »

Can I point out Dimidu that despite the upgrade at the airport , passengers are either queueing in 40° of sunstroke heat or as in today's boarding Stansted flight ..stood on the tarmac taking a soaking! One of my property owners was on that flight, she sat the trip in a drenched t-shirt and slacks..soaked to her undies! Ok it's September, you don't expect dry weather, but you certainly should not be expected to queue outside in a deluge. I doubt even the most prepared would be wearing Peter Storms waiting for a plane in south if France in September...rediculous.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Dimitri has moved onwards and upwards Deb and don't know if he follows the forum any more as he is now based in Toulouse. You can tag him on the Facebook group but as far as I know, he's no longer involved with Perpignan airport - our loss as he really did try and get things moving there.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Thanks Kate. The lady concerned has written to the airport.sitting for an hour and a half drenched to your underwear is no joke...especially when she paid 100+ € for the privelege.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Yes, agree. We had similar (but the opposite in Carcassonne a few years ago with my 93 year old Dad. Every -body down on the tarmac thinking 'Yay, we're leaving on time" then 45 min wait in 32° with no shade or seats.... Took him back into airport in the end but they weren't happy about letting me come back through. Not sure that these airport always think ahead properly!