Books to Read.

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Jeanne-Marie Turner

Books to Read.

Post by Jeanne-Marie Turner »

My husband has recently published a book about retirement in the Pyrenees Orientals. It is a true account of many of the people, the history and a lighthearted account of experiences here as retirees. It is also informative and described as funny, witty and a 'Must read' for those visiting, or with an interest in the area by the critics.
It can be found on Amazon selling for around £8.00.
Published last August.
The title is 'Murder in Paradise' by David Turner.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I am sure it's jolly good. But it's a bit exaggerated to talk up the response of "the critics" when there are two reviews on Amazon and one of them is from you.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

A bit harsh Martyn, I have read reviews of this book from on-line book shops all over the world and they all equally complementary and say much the same thing. :)

I have ordered a copy, so when I've read it I'll put a review on Amazon and on here.

Anyway, just because Jeanne-Marie is married to the author, it doesn't make her opinion any less relevant.

Many people on here shamelessly promote their products and services so good luck to her for supporting her husband and if she hadn't posted here then I wouldn't have bought it.

On a different note, does anyone know why Amazon in the UK charges more for the book when it is for delivery in France?- The delivery charge is separate.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:A bit harsh Martyn, I have read reviews of this book from on-line book shops all over the world and they all equally complementary and say much the same thing. :)

I have ordered a copy, so when I've read it I'll put a review on Amazon and on here.

Anyway, just because Jeanne-Marie is married to the author, it doesn't make her opinion any less relevant.

Many people on here shamelessly promote their products and services so good luck to her for supporting her husband and if she hadn't posted here then I wouldn't have bought it.

On a different note, does anyone know why Amazon in the UK charges more for the book when it is for delivery in France?- The delivery charge is separate.
There is a small VAT charge on books in France, and any but very small sellers now have to charge VAT on the "destination principle": I assume that's the explanation.

As for the rest, I don't for a moment criticise the OP for supporting her husband, or think her necessarily incapable of objectivity. But I think she was pushing it a bit (not least in using this rubric: "Places to visit/Info about the area"). I know others do it: that is for the moderators, but I do not have to like it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

IMO as its a book about retirement in the PO then it is quite feasible it falls under the heading Info about the area. In passing for those have who not seen it, here is a header that Kate has recently posted regarding books and Amazon UK.
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Amazon ... -in-France
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Sue wrote:IMO as its a book about retirement in the PO then it is quite feasible it falls under the heading Info about the area. In passing for those have who not seen it, here is a header that Kate has recently posted regarding books and Amazon UK.
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Amazon ... -in-France
I think "la loi anti-Amazon" (that's to say no more 5% discount plus free postage) is much more interesting than any of this. It's one of those things that occasionally makes you think that this place is incorrigibly too mad to be supportable. Have you ever tried to buy a book in one of those "small towns" that Mme Filippetti thinks are so wonderfully served? But perhaps it belongs on another thread.
Jeanne-Marie Turner

As a professional woman in my own right, not yet fully retired, as I am both a practicing painter and designer plus, hopefully, a trained university mind in education through the arts, I believe I am entitled to retain an objective view of my own. Yet, if I think it is good, regardless of my marriage, then I have the right to express my opinion freely and after fifty years of happy marriage I am sure my husband will endorse this as he has always encourage me to feel free with my personal expressions.
I can vouch for my husband, (having known him for so long) as having always been straightforward with a deep understanding of the history of this area as well as having been a witty and popular speaker on many educational subjects during his University days and I am sure that the book, though lighthearted in vein, should be entertaining which is all that it has been intended to be. Just read it first.
Need I repeat 'Fact is always stranger than fiction'.
Jeanne-M Turner (nee Doyle). 
Jeanne-Marie Turner

I should add that if you obtain it from Amazon.fr then you may save postage charges. It is also obtainable from Foyles and several other leading book sellers around the world.
It is very much about this area of Pyrenees Orientals and a modest introduction into the historical and geographical interest of the area for those who may wish to learn more. This is why I chose this section in which to place my post.
Jeanne-M Turner (nee Doyle)
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Jeanne Marie, nobody really minds where you post it - the forum titles are just a guide - don't pay any attention to Mr Grumpy :lol:
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Thank you, I have not had so much fun for ages. Find below the remarks sent me by 'Mr Grumpy' and my response back. This forum has to be worth at least a few FREE laughs.

If I wanted to pay 80p to your husband and £7.20 to his agents, I know how to do it. If he has anything useful to tell me about how to stay sane 40kms away, he could do that for nothing, as other users of this forum try to do. It is not a marketing site, though increasingly becoming one. Martyn.

The post was not intended to Market the book so much as simply to inform those who love the area about a book, also informative on the area, that they may wish to read for their entertainment. The book is hardly likely to make us a fortune and so far, not even pay for a meal out. It was written for the fun of it and if you have nothing more positive to say, then say nothing. just READ, if you can. 
JMT.
JMT.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Can't say fairer than that! :lol:
Last edited by Kate on Sun 29 Jun 2014 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Martyn94 writes...
[quote="Jeanne-Marie Turner"]The post was not intended to Market the book so much as simply to inform those who love the area about a book, also informative on the area that they may wish to read for their entertainment. The book is hardly likely to make us a fortune and so far, not even pay for a meal out. It was written for the fun of it and if you have nothing more positive to say, then say nothing. just READ, if you can. 
Send me a free copy, and I might read: if I can find the time.

My response....
Sorry, alas, nothing is free in this life and even we have to pay for the copy. 
Please, do not waste our time or the time of others, with any more unpleasant remarks. We hope sincerely that you will never have to experience a similar tragedy such as ours but if you do, it may make you a little more tolerant rather than arrogant. 
As I reiterate...Read the book then form your judgement. We can do without immature remarks with no actual experiences of the sort we have been through and still we remain comparatively sane and hopefully, good humoured. 
Again, as I say, nothing is free in this life and our price has been very expensive.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Oh dear. Here we go again!

It's an uncomfortable fact that many of the posts on this forum ARE people trying to sell things or advertise.

I've not read this particular book so can't comment. All I will say is that is that, IMHO, Lady Fortescue's account of living in Provence in the inter war years was, and will remain, the benchmark against which all such items are to be measured.

Mary
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Unlike Lady Fortescue, this book is about today. Hers took place during the 1930's and times may not have changed much but they have still moved on.

Thank you, unlike Mr Clever Cloggs, we have been in this area for eighteen years and we still do not know it all but the joy of having so much yet to discover is still with us. Mr Grumpy Clever Cloggs has helped to at least arouse interest in the book for which we thank him, 
 I hope, if you read it, you will enjoy it.
We only had three free copies, now in the possession of both our daughters and the other with our son's son. Publishers are getting tight and they are the people who wish to sell. For us, it remains as nothing more than an experiment like most great works of art.
Jeanne-M Turner.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

In my enthusiasm to buy this book, I didn't even notice that it was cheaper on Amazon.fr than on the UK site (few things are) and blow me the price on Amazon.co.uk was reduced today.

My enthusiasm has however been dampened by a somewhat public spat. I presume that some of the published comments arrived in a private message. I always thought that forum etiquette was that private messages stay as such.

What started as a light hearted thread has become too vitriolic for my taste.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

In reply to J-MT. When I talk about Lady Fortescue being a benchmark I refer to the style, not the content.

Why not do what has become quite commonplace today for new books? Publish the first chapter for all to see. So those who are interested can decide for themselves. Or do you not have the ability to do so?

Mary
Jeanne-Marie Turner

I am new to this magazine and forum. What started, from my part, as an innocent attempt to make people aware of my husbands book as I thought it may be of interest to a few, this forum has taken me by surprise by a few of the remarks I have received.
I have no wish to upset people, merely to inform them of a book that has been published about the area. I Had hoped that people will derive some enjoyment from the book, so does my husband. That is all. With £2.49 in the bank so far from royalties we are not expecting to make a million, just to have a little fun. Let us keep it that way please.
It was intended as a form of information rather than as advertising though I do accept now that there is a fine line between the two.
Please forgive me.
As for publishing the first chapter, that is not in our power. Only the publisher can do this and we doubt that they will.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Jeanne-Marie there is no need to apologize, you have done nothing wrong. Its is the grumpy, stirring, baiting people who should be apologizing. Please do not let them put you off posting on the Forum as that would be giving in to their goal in life. So sad really.
Dylan
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Thank you. At least Mr Grumpy has created more interest in this topic than we could ever have hoped for, for which we thank him.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Just as a matter of interest someone said it was cheaper on Amazon FR than Amazon UK. I cant find Amazon FR stock it!
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hello Jeanne,
There is absolutely nothing to forgive. Every now and then testostérone takes over and comments come out as a little sharp.....but don't be deceived. Meet these same people in real life, unhidden by their cloak of forum annonymity, and they are often (tho not always) delightful, respectful and lovely. I suppose it's the nature of the forum and the disadvantage of not having to register with your real name.

Mainly though, it's trouble free and just peopled with friendly, helpful, ordinary folk, who will pass on useful info and advice wherever possible AND enjoy hearing about a new book about the region, an event, a restaurant....

The advertising rule only applies to businesses, and the reason is simply that POL is very expensive to produce, so I hope to encourage them to support the mag by advertising, our only source of income. It certainly doesnt apply to books or any small ventures. Quite the opposite really.

Sun's out.....yabadabbadoooooo :lol: :lol:
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Thank you. I am not worried, rather, delighted that at least the book has been publicised as such with a group of people who have shown some interest. We have just returned from a five month trip in Morocco and before we left the book was on Amazon.fr but I cannot find it there today. It is on amazon.com and the UK (now reduced from the original price) so maybe a good time to purchase if that is what you want. The reduced price may cover the postage but alas, our percentage will also have diminished. Fame at last, at a price. Maybe, later, we will afford that Dinner out.
Anthea & Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anthea & Tim »

A genuine question, please can you tell me if a Kindle version is planned?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Well done Allan. I tried that and it didnt come up. Someone has asked if its going to be available on Kindle. I would like to know if it is going to be available anywhere other than Amazon as I have a Sony Reader which is EPUB format.
Dylan
Jeanne-Marie Turner

We would love to have an ebook version but frankly we do not know how to do it. My husband still writes in longhand and never touches a computer. The rest has been up to me and my technical skills are limited. If any one knows how we could do this then I need their help. My husband has several other books in mind and I would love him to write more, not for the money but because it would be good for him since we lost our only son, and because he has a way with words. As his only secretary, as such, I admit my limitations with technical knowhow.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Jeanne-Marie Turner wrote:We would love to have an ebook version but frankly we do not know how to do it. My husband still writes in longhand and never touches a computer. The rest has been up to me and my technical skills are limited. If any one knows how we could do this then I need their help. My husband has several other books in mind and I would love him to write more, not for the money but because it would be good for him since we lost our only son, and because he has a way with words. As his only secretary, as such, I admit my limitations with technical knowhow.
If you have it in electronic form then just go to https://kdp.amazon.com upload the book and start collecting the money
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:Well done Allan. I tried that and it didnt come up. Someone has asked if its going to be available on Kindle. I would like to know if it is going to be available anywhere other than Amazon as I have a Sony Reader which is EPUB format.
There are lots of programs available which will convert the format for you. I use Calibre which is also great for managing your book collection.

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I use Calibre too Russell but very often the books are blocked and cannot be converted.
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Jeanne-Marie Turner wrote:Thank you. At least Mr Grumpy has created more interest in this topic than we could ever have hoped for, for which we thank him.
Happy if I have been of service. My original complaint was not that the book was being advertised (and whatever Jeanne M's motives were, it was being advertised) but that the advertising was a bit overdone.

The vast majority of exchanges here are entirely altruistic: we seek information without expecting to pay, and give it without expecting reward. If you choose to depart from that - and I can very well see how Jeanne M was tempted - it seems to me that you are under a certain duty, if only a moral one, to be objective and candid - about what you say, how you title your post, and which sub forum you use. It seemed to me, and still does, that the original post did not meet that standard.

I don't say that just to be nasty, or even grumpy, just to be self-interested. I understand and accept when I come here that many posts will turn out not to be relevant or interesting for me, as likewise my posts will be to others. The inevitable waste of time can be limited by careful choice of title and sub-forum. But when perfectly innocent-looking posts turn out to be selling something, that wastes not just time but also trust and good will. That excludes, of course, the sub-forum for selling where everyone knows what they are in for.

Beyond a very limited level of this I will just knock off and go elsewhere. Which would be a shame for me, even if for no-one else.