BBC on Satellite

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

BBC on Satellite

Post by Nigel »

Just had lunch with a friend who lives over the border in Spain. He tells me he is getting BBC ITV etc on a satellite of 100cms pointing
West ...something to do with Brit TV in Gib and for the Brit army etc abroad....anyone know anything about this type of system ?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: BBC on Satellite

Post by Allan »

Nigel wrote:Just had lunch with a friend who lives over the border in Spain. He tells me he is getting BBC ITV etc on a satellite of 100cms pointing
West ...something to do with Brit TV in Gib and for the Brit army etc abroad....anyone know anything about this type of system ?
He is probably talking about BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service).

I'd be surprised if his dish is pointing West as it comes from EutelSat at 10 deg East.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Fo ... ng_Service

Unfortunately it is encrypted and needs a viewing card. You could always enlist.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

That seems a very simple solution....expect to go in as a General
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:lol: :lol:
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

BBC and ITV channels are also on Intelsat 907 at 27.5°W. It can be received here on an 80 cm dish but the signals are encrypted with a BISS key. The key is published by hackers on the web but is changed several times a year and it takes some time to decode it.

Russell.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

What equipment do you need for this set up...I assume a 1m dish pointing towards the Eurosat 907 and a box...do you know what sort of box ....do you know if anyone has tried this set up
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Nigel wrote:What equipment do you need for this set up...I assume a 1m dish pointing towards the Eurosat 907 and a box...do you know what sort of box ....do you know if anyone has tried this set up
Yes a 1 m dish is fine. You need a receiver capable of decoding the BISS encryption such as the Technomate 5402 and, of course, you need to find the code.

Be aware that the BISS encryption used at present is not very secure and that there is always the possibility that the broadcasters will increase the security level.

It is one option though if you can't get IPTV as a result of a poor connection.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:
Nigel wrote: It is one option though if you can't get IPTV as a result of a poor connection.

Russell.
Though obviously a stream that they don't want you to have, and possibly have no right to give you.

I've no idea about the strict legality of Filmon, and maybe nobody yet does, but at least they have a visible internet and corporate presence. If BBC etc want to sue, they should be able to do so.

Notfilmon seems to be a complete mystery so far as I can find. It has no discernible internet presence. Does it do more than allow you to hijack the filmon paid streams for nothing?

And am I the only person to have scruples about stuff like this?
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I believe the streams on this satellite are intended as backups for terrestrial links and possibly to provide British television to military stations overseas. I'm not sure of the legality of decoding them but suspect it depends on the country you are in at the time. I doubt that the broadcasters would be any more interested in pursuing individuals who receive it.

In most countries it is perfectly legal to watch streams from the likes of Filmon and even pirate film sites like Icefilm. What is illegal here in the EU is to record those streams on your computer etc. or to transmit them. That would be in breach of copyright. So I guess that Filmon are based in Switzerland.

I wonder how the changes to EU Directive 89/552/EEC - "TELEVISION WITHOUT FRONTIERS" will affect these issues.

Notfilmon is not a company but an add-on for XBMC written by a developer calling himself Mikey1234 and, as far as I am aware, it needs your Filmon subscription details to get the HD streams.

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Please note: no Subscription is required to stream the HD output using the android 'notFilmon' addon.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

montgolfiere wrote:Please note: no Subscription is required to stream the HD output using the android 'notFilmon' addon.
Are you sure about that Dave? When I set it up on my laptop I had to go to:
System>Settings>Add-ons>Enabled-Add-ons>Video Add-ons>Notfilmon>Configure
..and then enter my Filmon account details before I could get HD.

However it has stopped working completely now and is marked as "Broken" in the repository.

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The notFilmon addon is working fine on my 'Android iptv System' this morning.
(Please note: i have no experience with notFilmon on a Laptop, so do not know if the same applies)

And 'yes', i have been (along with all the systems i have installed over the past few months) streaming the UK TV Streams in HD (without any subscription) on notFilmon.

Apart from a 6 day 'outage', a month or so ago, it has been working without any problems for well over 9 months now.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:The notFilmon addon is working fine on my 'Android iptv System' this morning.
(Please note: i have no experience with notFilmon on a Laptop, so do not know if the same applies)
Surely it's an XBMC application and repository, not Android or Windows so you would expect it to be the same.
montgolfiere wrote: And 'yes', i have been (along with all the systems i have installed over the past few months) streaming the UK TV Streams in HD (without any subscription) on notFilmon.
I think you should be careful about such phrases as 'streaming in HD', as I understand it (and as explained in an article on Filmon.com), the HD refers to Filmon's higher bitrate stream and is in fact a lesser quality to SD quality of broadcast TV.

It is also significantly less that other services such as TVplayer and BBC iPlayer and way below Sky On Demand

Interesting the article says that Filmon SD on an IOS device uses a stream that is almost the same as the HD stream on other devices.

Most people progressed from SD several years ago and it seems a shame to go backwards, that is not to denigrate Filmon, it is an excellent service when nothing else is available.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I was only referring to the access to the 2 different Filmon 'Streams'. HD and SD.

I was not making any claim of the actual quality...except that the Filmon HD Stream is a lot better than the SD Stream!!!!
I would therefore suggest that FTA Access to the Filmon 'HD' Stream is a great advantage as the SD Quality is quite 'Poor'.

I agree with Alan that the Filmon HD Stream actually equates to around the 'Quality' of the Satellite SD Stream (and this is actually something i point out to my Clients).

All i can say re the various ways of accessing the 'notFilmon Addon' is that the version i have installed, is working in HD and FTA, on the Android MX2 Box 'Chez-Moi'.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I think the problem is related to the version of XBMC rather than laptop vs Android. It seems that a lot of the add-ons are marked as 'incompatible' in the repositories and can't be installed on version 'Gotham'. It seems that the add-on developers haven't caught up with the new requirements.

Yes TVplayer does give a good picture. It also has the advantage that it adjusts the data rate to suit your connection speed so will work, albeit at reduced picture quality, on slow connections. It's a shame they don't have more channels such as ITV3 and 4.

Russell.