The ideal Xmas gift - "une perche à selfies"

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

The ideal Xmas gift - "une perche à selfies"

Post by martyn94 »

I got a bit of pub today from Orange, promoting - among other things - this device: a sort of stick with a clamp on the end to hold your mobile phone at arm's length, and a gizmo to set off the camera. I had seen them in use - "this is me, and that's the Eiffel Tower " - but hadn't realised there was a recognised Franglais term for them. There was also, of course, the obligatory asterisk leading to a crib in tiny print explaining that "selfies" are "autoportraits": a strong contender for the prize for this year's most redundant information.

Some days I suspect I am getting old; other days........
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ooooooooo, I want one. I've only got short little arms.
No but really?

One of my French neighbours read this post and has just emailed me the following

Tout le monde connaît un selfie - mais qu'est ce que c'est un auto portrait?
(tongue in cheek I believe ) :lol: :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

isn't it a variant of a go pro?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:Ooooooooo, I want one. I've only got short little arms.
No but really?

One of my French neighbours read this post and has just emailed me the following

Tout le monde connaît un selfie - mais qu'est ce que c'est un auto portrait?
(tongue in cheek I believe ) :lol: :lol:
A belated after-thought. Kate's friend said "un selfie", and I guess I would have done the same, although there is no obvious reason to think that loan-words from English should necessarily be masculine. I suspect the same applies more generally, unless the thing denoted is necessarily feminine (I can't think of an example, but I guess they must exist) or the word itself has been feminised ("starlette" or "speakerine").

Any example of a loan-word which is regarded as feminine in French just as a matter of choice?