Upgrading old Freebox to Freebox Revolution

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Upgrading old Freebox to Freebox Revolution

Post by Nigel »

Just wondering if anyone who has done this has had any problems.The price seems the same as we are paying but includes free call to mobiles....do you still get the free mobile from Free for two hours each month ? I also see there is an optional "boucle locale"..what is this and would i need it ?.....martyn94 need not reply thank you
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Well I will anyway. There are two sorts of Free internet service. One is through phone lines which are "dégroupée" (ie where Free has their own kit in the local exchange): Free pay FT to use the line to your house, and they recharge part of that as a fee for the "boucle locale" (equals "local loop"). It is not optional if you want their latest box, but I believe that it is not charged to older customers with older boxes. So if you do not need the new bells and whistles, stick with what you've got.

It is, of course, a rather cheesy way of putting the prices up for the new box without seeming to put the price up.

If you are not dégroupée, which is increasingly unlikely, you pay (rather more) to FT directly for your phone line, and would continue to do so.

The cheap Free mobile deal for their internet subscribers remains available: if you are signed up to it, it will continue.

I am sorry, though not exactly devastated, that you found my previous response unwelcome. I hope this makes things up to some degree.

And by way of afterthought, yes I am signed up to it, and no, I have not had significant problems. The one problem I have had was sorted out when I rang customer service, "while you wait".
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Thanks..that is very helpful..
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Two afterthoughts. There is a newer alternative to the Freebox Revolution called the Mini 4K. It does not seem to offer any major advantages unless you have a 4K tv, but details are here

http://www.free.fr/freebox/freebox-mini.html

Secondly, Free are apparently going to launch an even snazzier replacement for the "Revolution" within a few months, judging by the nods and winks they have let slip. It may therefore be worth waiting a while: they would charge you for an upgrade if you had only recent switched to a Revolution.