District Nurses

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

District Nurses

Post by Allan »

We have always been impressed with the service from our local nurse but this year it seems to have fallen apart.

I have 2 flu vaccinations sitting in the fridge and I called the nurse 3 weeks ago to do the injections. She never answers the phone but usually calls back.

In this case I have had no response and have so far called 3 times.

Can you pick any nurse from the list on yellow pages or are you supposed to stick with the same one?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: District Nurses

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:We have always been impressed with the service from our local nurse but this year it seems to have fallen apart.

I have 2 flu vaccinations sitting in the fridge and I called the nurse 3 weeks ago to do the injections. She never answers the phone but usually calls back.

In this case I have had no response and have so far called 3 times.

Can you pick any nurse from the list on yellow pages or are you supposed to stick with the same one?
I can't imagine why not. And this seems to confirm it ("une infirmière de vôtre choix")
http://www.ameli.fr/assures/prevention- ... nniere.php
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

You can ring anyone you want, tho it's always better to get a recommendation first - or just go to your doc and have it done there. After a chat early in the year with one of our local nurses, I would say that it's pot luck if you get a good home nurse. Most of them are fed up and disillusioned as they get paid peanuts, and are rarely taken seriously by the medical profession.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:You can ring anyone you want, tho it's always better to get a recommendation first - or just go to your doc and have it done there. After a chat early in the year with one of our local nurses, I would say that it's pot luck if you get a good home nurse. Most of them are fed up and disillusioned as they get paid peanuts, and are rarely taken seriously by the medical profession.
I'm sure they vary but a flu jab doesn't seem to justify much research. As long as they can find a muscle somewhere.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:
Kate wrote:You can ring anyone you want, tho it's always better to get a recommendation first - or just go to your doc and have it done there. After a chat early in the year with one of our local nurses, I would say that it's pot luck if you get a good home nurse. Most of them are fed up and disillusioned as they get paid peanuts, and are rarely taken seriously by the medical profession.
I'm sure they vary but a flu jab doesn't seem to justify much research. As long as they can find a muscle somewhere.
Incidentally, there is now law saying that pharmacists can do the jabs themselves, but I'm not sure that it's in force yet. Perhaps next year.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

You can always do it yourself - not difficult! Do remember to use some good antiseptic wipes and remove the air from the syringe first.

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:You can always do it yourself - not difficult! Do remember to use some good antiseptic wipes and remove the air from the syringe first.

Russell
As Mrs Beeton almost said, first catch your syringe.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:
russell wrote:You can always do it yourself - not difficult! Do remember to use some good antiseptic wipes and remove the air from the syringe first.

Russell
As Mrs Beeton almost said, first catch your syringe.
A subliminal memory made me look further: it seems that Mrs Beeton never wrote "first catch your hare" - though it's done to death in her name. The best source seems to be Thackeray.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

martyn94 wrote: As Mrs Beeton almost said, first catch your syringe.
Martyn, you get the syringe pre-loaded with the vaccine from the pharmacie. Free on prescription if you are over 65 or on 100% for certain conditions.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:
martyn94 wrote: As Mrs Beeton almost said, first catch your syringe.
Martyn, you get the syringe pre-loaded with the vaccine from the pharmacie. Free on prescription if you are over 65 or on 100% for certain conditions.

Russell.
I should have guessed that. Only two weeks to wait before I'm old enough to be admitted to these mysteries. But I don't suppose I will get any less squeamish in the meantime.