The end of the beans

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

The end of the beans

Post by martyn94 »

I saw an ad today saying that you ought to eat more veg, and fewer bad things, accompanied by a picture of nice fresh veg, including some fresh "French beans", with the headline "c'est pas la fin des haricots".

It brought vividly to mind my dear old dad, who used the expression a lot (in both French and English). It's one of those expressions that no-one uses anymore, but everyone knows what it means. There are various theories about where it comes from, but the basic idea is that dried beans are both cheap and long-keeping: if your larder is so bare that there aren't even any beans left, you've pretty much hit the buffers.

So the phrase I've quoted means, roughly, "it isn't the end of the world" (to change your diet a bit). I've always liked it, and maybe we should try to bring it back into use. Or I may just have been inattentive: has anyone heard it "in the wild" recently?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The end of the beans

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:I saw an ad today saying that you ought to eat more veg, and fewer bad things, accompanied by a picture of nice fresh veg, including some fresh "French beans", with the headline "c'est pas la fin des haricots".

It brought vividly to mind my dear old dad, who used the expression a lot (in both French and English). It's one of those expressions that no-one uses anymore, but everyone knows what it means. There are various theories about where it comes from, but the basic idea is that dried beans are both cheap and long-keeping: if your larder is so bare that there aren't even any beans left, you've pretty much hit the buffers.

So the phrase I've quoted means, roughly, "it isn't the end of the world" (to change your diet a bit). I've always liked it, and maybe we should try to bring it back into use. Or I may just have been inattentive: has anyone heard it "in the wild" recently?
I quoted it from memory: the ad actually says "ce n'est vraiment pas la fin des haricots". But the sentiment is much the same.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Peut etre que les carottes sont cuites aussi!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:Peut etre que les carottes sont cuites aussi!
Thanks for that. Apparently it was one of the code phrases put out by the BBC radio French service ("Ici Londres: les Français parlent aux Français") to set off resistance activity around D-Day: "les carottes sont cuites, je répète, les carottes sont cuites".

Why does almost anything nowadays remind me how dismal Brexit is?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

martyn94 wrote:

It makes a change from the weather.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Owens88 wrote:
martyn94 wrote:

It makes a change from the weather.
And I blame that on Brexit too.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Where the 'like' button?
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

5 French expressions

Post by Helen »

If it's the end of the beans and the carrots are cooked - how about pushing granny in the nettles?

All revealed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGlC8_1t1Ps&t=201s
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: 5 French expressions

Post by martyn94 »

Helen wrote:If it's the end of the beans and the carrots are cooked - how about pushing granny in the nettles?

All revealed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGlC8_1t1Ps&t=201s
Belatedly, I recall another useful expression. I made a tiled worktop for my sister in a Paris flat she rented decades ago. It was perhaps a bit over-engineered. Her boy-friend of the time said “you could hang your mother-in- law from it “ (though she would have to been quite short).
PublicInfo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PublicInfo »

My french is quite good but a bit too much from text books and formal learning.
The youtube channel linked in the post above is great. Thanks Helen.