welder required for classic car

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

ssyson
Rank 2
Rank 2

welder required for classic car

Post by ssyson »

Hi
I am looking for someone to do some welding on 1960 Austin Healey. The control technique people are telling me that the rules have changed and the corrosion to the underside of the car which passed last time wont pass again. Does anyone know of a competent welder.
Thanks
Sue
Lostweekend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lostweekend »

In the directory section under builders etc, page 2, wrought iron and stained glass. Brilliant chap called Nico, speaks English, very busy but worth a call as he may be able to help
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

There's a great deal of difference between welding on wrought iron etc., and welding on a classic car. You need to find a good workshop that specializes in motor bodywork and not just bolting on new parts as is common today.

The Citroen garage in Millas has restored a number of classic and vintage cars it might be worth talking to them. It does depend on what needs doing, I don't think they have a wheeling machine for making new panels though.

Russell
Lostweekend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lostweekend »

You assume I don’t know the difference or Nico, who not only has done some fantastic work for me , but spends his spare time machining spare parts for motorcycles and vehicles, he even has a English wheel, but whatever.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I can only respond to what you post, Lostweekend.

Ssyson, other possibilities are:
http://www.carrosserie-funcar.fr/carrossier
http://www.atelier-amedee.com/

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Lostweekend wrote:You assume I don’t know the difference or Nico, who not only has done some fantastic work for me , but spends his spare time machining spare parts for motorcycles and vehicles, he even has a English wheel, but whatever.
I don’t think that Russell was assuming anything, just clarifying a doubt that you had left open. I nearly said something similar myself.
Lostweekend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lostweekend »

I nearly said something similar myself.[/quote]

I have no doubt about that. But look somebody asked for a recommendation I recommended a local guy who advertised in the directory section, supports this forum, and pointed them to his listing, tried to help a member out, Your man Russell assumed that because he stated wrought iron among the things he did he wouldn’t be the chap for the job and suggested they should look elsewhere, I am sure the original poster is more than capable of deciding if he is the man for them with a simple phone call, it really doesn’t need all the usual tyre kickers pitching in
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Have sent a PM with a recommendation.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The owner of Top Auto in Argeles owns classic cars himself so possibly he or his men could help.
Dylan
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

The lad who repairs the ancient Citroen 2CVs visible from the main road at St. Genis des Fontaines certainly knows his way round a welding torch.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

And his company is called Lesaladeuche, 13 route Brouilla 66740 Saint-Génis-des-Fontaines.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »