Flights to and from the region this summer

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

alan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flights to and from the region this summer

Post by alan » Tue 09 Jun 2020 14:13

The newspapers today are reporting that Ryanair has said that it had seen a doubling in the number of UK bookings to destinations in the Mediterranean compared with seven days earlier.

We have a Ryanair flight booked from Stansted to Perpignan at the end of July. My daughter has a flight booked also with Ryanair in August from East Midlands to Carcassonne, We are then back in September with Easyjet from Gatwick to Toulouse and returning home from Montpellier to Gatwick.

It would be interesting to know whether people also have flights to and from the region booked this summer as, when and if those flights take place with their experience of the “new normal” both for the flights and airports.

I shall report on how we find things with our proposed journeys.

Alan

Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Flights to and from the region this summer

Post by Ted & Jemima » Wed 10 Jun 2020 09:33

Hi Alan

We would urge caution because, to our knowledge:
* Carcassonne airport has not yet announced its reopening to commercial flights (we live nearby)
* Ryanair's business methods are, urm, (allegedly) unscrupulous
* Ryanair is taking bookings/money for flights that do not yet exist as part of its heavy-handed campaign to persuade the UK government to lift post-virus restrictions.
These issues are written up in the press.

We hope your arrangements work out well, but these are uncertain times and some businesses have a lot to potentially lose for their shareholders. Sadly, customers are just part of their games.

Yours,
Ted & Jemima
http://findinglanguedoc.com

alan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alan » Wed 10 Jun 2020 19:33

Thanks both

Yes, there is a great deal of uncertainty at present.

We should have been flying with Ryanair from Bristol to Beziers next Monday and that flight was cancelled so we re-booked Stansted to Perpignan at the end of July rather than asking for a refund. The Carcassonne flight in August and Montpellier flight in September were booked last year.

I don't think we would be making fresh bookings for this summer just at the moment.

Alan

Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ted & Jemima » Fri 26 Jun 2020 22:25

Following up our earlier post, news emerges today that Carcassonne airport will reopen for commercial flights on 3 July:
https://www.lindependant.fr/2020/06/26/ ... 950848.php
It seems a long time since we've had the noise of daily Ryanair flights landing low over the town. Businesses will be happy. But inevitable that a minority of Brits will bring the virus with them from 'herd immunity do-nothing strategy' UK, leading to a cluster of cases locally. Particularly now that the proportion of people wearing masks in town & socially distancing has dropped dramatically since deconfinement. Oh dear!

Be careful out there,
Ted & Jemima
www.findinglanguedoc.com

alan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alan » Fri 26 Jun 2020 23:07

That will please my daughter, her husband and children who are planning to fly into Carcassonne in early August and spend a holiday at our house in Port Vendres.

Having worked on the front-line in the NHS with Covid 19 patients this year, she deserves a holiday. I know she will not travel if she or any one of her family is showing symptoms. Of course she may be asymptomatic but she has taken every precaution. The fact that she has recently tested negative on an antibodies test may be testament to the precautions she has taken.

I do hope that the restaurants, bars, ice-cream vendors will appreciate the Euros they'll be spending in PV and Collioure.

alan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alan » Sat 04 Jul 2020 17:50

With the resumption of regular flights into the Region, it would be really good to hear from people who have been passengers of their experiences not not only on the flight but also at the airport with regard to the "new normal".

Alan