Ferry bookings, watch the website you use

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Two Gables
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ferry bookings, watch the website you use

Post by Two Gables »

Hi all,

I was booking the ferry for this years holiday and spotted something that may prove useful to those of you who plan to use ld lines. I input "ld line" into Google and selected the first result (ldline.co.uk), which I assumed took me through to their website, it certainly looked like their site. Once I had completed all the information the cost came up much higher than I had previously seen. On closer inspection I spotted that I was actually booking through a ticket operator. I went back to Google and this time entered "ld lines". This time got through to the ld lines website (ldlines.co.uk), and after entering exactly the same information for the same sailings there was nearly a £100 difference between the prices, booking direct saved me £97.

Just goes to show what a difference a small 's' can make!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Gosh, thanks for sharing that info.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

These are exactly the type of screenscraper freeloaders that M O'Leary is waging war against these days.

Thanks for the info.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Hi all :)

Well since the demise of Speed Ferries :cry:
I have been looking at alternatives & hoping that prices would not escalate, to what
they were prior to their arrival on the market.
LD Lines was rumoured to be starting a Boulogne crossing & so
it has come to be.
http://www.ldlines.co.uk/

Have had a look at our possible crossings & it will be about 60 pounds, which is on par with Speed Ferries.
Norfolk Lines are about the same, but as with both you can get cheaper sailing times, about 45 pounds
for us, but the only drawback is its Dunkirk.
So not gaining much, if you take fuel & travel time into consideration.

http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/

But i do like Boulogne as a port, for its easy exit & onward travel :D
By the way i did get my money back, for my unused vouchers for Speed Ferries.
You were good while you lasted, its a shame it had to end :cry:

Cheers Sav :)
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ferry bookings, watch the website you use

Post by polremy »

Two Gables wrote:Hi all,

I was booking the ferry for this years holiday and spotted something that may prove useful to those of you who plan to use ld lines. I input "ld line" into Google and selected the first result (ldline.co.uk), which I assumed took me through to their website, it certainly looked like their site. Once I had completed all the information the cost came up much higher than I had previously seen. On closer inspection I spotted that I was actually booking through a ticket operator. I went back to Google and this time entered "ld lines". This time got through to the ld lines website (ldlines.co.uk), and after entering exactly the same information for the same sailings there was nearly a £100 difference between the prices, booking direct saved me £97.

Just goes to show what a difference a small 's' can make!
very kind of you to share that.
i bet they make quite a lot of money from people who don't notice.