Above Ground Pool

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Ciaran
Rank 0
Rank 0

Above Ground Pool

Post by Ciaran »

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has any experience in installing an above ground swimming pool?

Do you need planning permission? Are there reputable local installers?

Any info on any aspect would be appreciated!

Thanks
Olivier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Olivier »

Hello Ciaran,

The question that comes to mind is why would you want to install an above ground pool? They dont age very well and are not as practical as an inground pool. Also remember that you will get what you pay for. Some places do them quite cheap but ask yourself why before you buy! However, I understand that in some circumstances, that is the only choice

Clients often install these types of pools as the installation is quite straight forward and they do not need planning application as in theory it is not a permanent structure. However, if your pool's height is over 1m then you will need to do 'une declaration de travaux'.

The rest very much depends on your own DIY skills!! The structure is usually very easy to install but the liner can be a little more difficult. The main problem is the lack of underlay for the liner which means that everything under it will show. The other is the lack of patience. People tend to install the liner quickly and therefore leave creases that cannot be remove once the pool is full. The installation of the filtration is equally easy if you follow the instructions and apply some logique.
Best of luck
Olivier
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Hi Ciaran

In my experience, too, overground pools are a devil for regulating the ph balance of the pool! Costs a fortune in ph minus products!
Ciaran
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ciaran »

We have a maison de village with no garden. However just a kilometre away we have an "allotment" which is currently an overgrown mess. There is no water or electricity on site but I am sure we can manage to secure those services.

It just seems like a strange thing to install a full below ground pool on a piece of land away from our house. The above ground could be done with little fuss and would provide a welcome haven for our kids during the summer (under supervision of course!). Throw in a barbecue and a few loungers and Bob's your uncle.
Jungle Jim

Post by Jungle Jim »

PM en route.

JJ
Olivier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Olivier »

In that case Ciaran, I would be inclined to agree with you. The only issue that would concern me is the security of the pool. I would certainly advise you to check with the mairie and explain you intention. Above ground pool are very difficult to totally secure cheaply. Although you may not need to install a security device to comply with the law you will still be liable if something happens in your pool during your absence. Can kids get onto your property easily?
Olivier
TPM Pool and Property Services
www.tpm66.com
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

We had a pool above ground (hors sol) in our rented villa garden in Antibes for 8 years. Bought in Carrefour for equivalent (in FFR) of 565 euros allin.

Biggest work was levelling the circle where we installed it. No problems of maintenance and Alizée had, at her birthday parties, at least 10 kids in there (5m60cm diameter, 1m20cm deep) plastic ladder with ann attachment to cover the steps when not in use. Impossible for any child under about 5 to climb in without the ladder. Great fun!

No tax either. Go for it!! The ones in wood are of course nicer but more expensive. Castorama usually does high quality ("solid") hors sol pools and has a few on show. Go for a good liner at least 50/100 but better 70/100 for long lasting comfort!