La Petita Roca Gerona

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

La Petita Roca Gerona

Post by Kathy »

Called here for a meal as our flight landed at 8pm. It must have changed since John's visit as our experience was totally different. Admittedly we had a language problem as our server did not speak English or French and we didn't speak Spanish. One man did speak a little English and he gave us an English menu so thought we were safe. How wrong we were. We ordered 3 grilled chicken and one grilled porc with fried potatoes, aubergines and courgettes. We got 3 grilled porc and 1 pigs trotters with chips and 1 lot of aubergines. The pigs trotters got despatched back but we were hungry so ate the pork, whilst we waited for our fourth pork to be served to the poor guy who had the misfortune to get the trotters. We declined dessert as really the food was at best average. The bill came with the cost for the trotters included which of course we didn't pay for. The only saving grace was the house wine which was delicious. All told it came to 57€ for four people for what was basically 2 pork medallions with chips and a couple of slices of aubergine and 1 bottle of house wine.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Sorry to hear of your experience,Kathy.As I intimated,this place is quite pricey for Spain,and for what you paid,it seems that you tried,understandably, to keep costs down. I find that in places like the Roca Petita this strategy doesn't really work;you'd be better to go to a less plush place and order the full menu.

When we went we didn't try the grilled meat,but went for some meat/fish in sauce "oven " dishes,and they were good.

To be honest,I think you can do a lot better than the RP in that area,value wise (eg Can General up the road),but I merely posted it as it seemed very handy for those arriving on an evening flight into Girona.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Not a case of keeping costs down, if we wanted that many other restaurants would have met that criteria. You obviously chose well and had a good experience, we did not and therefore an alternative viewpoint has been proffered.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Always good to get reports good and bad,so an absolutely fair point Kathy. As was mine that,knowing the RP,14€ a head there wouldn't buy you very much!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Not quite a stones-throw from Gerona but we went to a really good restaurant on the road leading out of Capmany on the other side from Figueres. I can't remember the name but it's a big place with a massive parking out front.

I had a very tasty and very generous mixed grill (more meat than I could actually eat) and a salad for about €14. Rachel's chicken and chips at €8 was much better than your average Spanish fare. We had a 1/2 bottle of good red from Capmany vigneron Olivier Conti and a couple of excellent Cortados to finish.

We would definitely go back with a larger group.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29