Photography

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Photography

Post by Cellier Trouillas »

Can anyone help me, please?

I have to take some photographs of our shop window but, unfortunately, every one that I have taken so far is not good.

The shop front faces east, yesterday afternoon I tried to take some photos but it was impossible to see the contents of the window, just the lovely reflection of a blue sky and the Alberes. Very beautiful, but not what I'm looking for! :D

I'm worried that if I take the shots in the morning, with the sun behind me, then the reflection will be worse.

Any advice from any of you photographers out there, please??????? :?
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Late evening or night shot with the lights on inside?
Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks, Colin, might have to give that a go.
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Do you have a polarisation filter on your camera lens - even if it's digital?
Often used to eliminate reflections from water in beach photos, etc.
Here's an example of a building with windows:
Source: http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/fi ... otography/
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
pjsing
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pjsing »

We agree with Roger, we use polarisation to stop the glare and reflection
Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

That's brilliant, Roger. That's exactly my problem, but no, I don't have one.

I just have a normal digital camera. Nothing technical I'm afraid :(

Is there anything I can do without one, do you know, please (or Paul and Julie, thanks for your advice, too)?
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Is it the kind of camera you could screw a filter lens onto? Which make/model d you use? Alternatively, I would think there is someone out there with a digital camera with a polarisation filter screwed on it who could perhaps help? I do have a filter on my old Canon EOS 620 35mm - but not on my digital camera and anyway, I'm an hour and half drive away...
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Serge

Post by Serge »

If it's a digital camera that won't accept 'screw on' filters I would suggest that you take a lot of images from different angles in differing light conditions, you will usually end up with at least one usable image which can be 'fettled' in something like Photoshop or some other image editing software.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Karen
Visit the photoshop in Boulou and tell him your problem. He can fix up a polarization filter which will be workable until you take these shots. He's a professional photographer and he knows what is needed, even with a digital camera.

Basically, take a tripod for your camera and hold a polarization filter by hand in front of the lens. Voila, you'll have some good photos.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks Blackduff - I hadn't thought of that. I bought my camera from him a couple of years ago - really nice guy.

I'll give that a try, I think.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, everyone - will let you know how I get on! :D
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I'd agree with BD ,Karen. If these are important pictures for a commercial enterprise,then the small expense of involving a professional photographer pays dividends in the end. There is nothing more offputting for potential customers than badly-done "pub"/promotional material.

He'll do in a few minutes what you'll struggle to achieve in hours. Good use of time really!
Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

You're quite right, John. This is nothing serious, though.

Basically, the cooperators at Trouillas are mad USAP fans (the nephew of one of the cooperators actually plays for them). USAP have made the semi final of the cup, so we have decorated the window in support of them.

USAP are holding a competition for the best window, so we have to take photos to send to the website.

(we even have a pair of shorts and a pair of boots from said nephew!! :? )

I'll pop in and see Herve (I think his name is) to see about borrowing a filter.
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas
Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I went to see the chap at Phox Le Boulou. You were quite right, Roger, a polarising filter is required. The problem is that I only have a normal push and point digital camera - it's not possible to add filters to said camera.

Herve suggested I try taking the photos around 20h15 to 20h30 and from slightly to the side. (apparently he has exactly the same problem when he wants to photograph his own shopwindow!)

He also suggested that I tried taking the photo through a pair of sunglasses. This appears to be the most useful suggestion of the lot. Certainly the quality of the photo is significantly better than the others.

So, that's the end of the story. Thanks again for your help and advice everyone. :lol:
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas