Where not to eat in Girona

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Where not to eat in Girona

Post by Santiago »

Just come back from a short break in Girona. I can recommend the Hotel Historic but we should have done more research on the eateries.

First a tapas bar on Carrer Forca. I won't name and shame but it's in a group of three bars on a small square and is probably the worst example of freezer-tapas I've ever had. To make matters worse the beer was warm and the wine was rough.

We chose a restaurant called Divinum at Placa del Oli as we thought it was the one someone had recommended. Outside they had a really interesting menu for 15€. Once we were seated it was explained that was only at lunchtime and they'd forgotten to bring it in. The evening menu is very trendy and totally in Catalan.

I asked for a selection of tapas for four of us and was recommended a 35€ set piece per person :shock: :shock: :shock: No thanks :!: What seafood tapas do you have? "None". Any chicken? "No".

We managed, with help, to find a few dishes on the menu which made sense. I asked for a wine recommedation and was pointed to one twice the price of the one I suggested :roll:

We had 4 children with us and I think their aim was to get us out of there faster than a McDonalds Drive-in. They brought all the tapas and the mains at the same time.

Some of the food was good, some OK and some just didn't work - Squid stuffed with spinach - but the service and the money-grabbing attitude made it pretty unpleasant experience.

When we were leaving the next day we poppoed into a tapas bar just to use the WCs. They were really pleasant, the tapas looked fantastic, was freashly-prepared and half the price of the crap we'd had the night before. It's called "Na y Na" on Ballesteries.

Girona is a great city to visit but you need to do some prep on the restaurants. Try http://www.mygironaspain.com/page14/pag ... rants.html
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

another good tip for checking out restaurants in area you never been to before is tripadvisor.co.uk people on there recommended some good places to eat when we went to the Costa Brava last week.

Mwana