British headlights

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

British headlights

Post by cufc »

Is there a more permanent system than "stickons" to change the beam on my Volvo when we move to France? Really don't want to have to change the whole headlights.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: British headlights

Post by polremy »

cufc wrote:Is there a more permanent system than "stickons" to change the beam on my Volvo when we move to France? Really don't want to have to change the whole headlights.
prepare yourself
we tried to do it any other way possible but in the end we had to fork out for new headlights for our Xsara - and they weren't cheap.

the galling thing is, we gave the car to our daughter a couple of years later and she had to pay to get new British ones.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

You will need to change your headlights if you intend to re-register your car over here, of course
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

does volvo have an aligning setting ....? Our Xantia does, we needed an allen key about a foot long to do it and our local garage did it for nothing.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

opas wrote:does volvo have an aligning setting ....? Our Xantia does, we needed an allen key about
a foot long to do it and our local garage did it for nothing.
With all the people-exchange between Britain and other EU countries in both directions,
I would think all modern cars (at least of a certain niveau) should have that facility??
Perhaps it's not advertised enough by dealers when the cars are sold??
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Oh! That sounds hopeful. We've contacted our local dealer but they haven'y got back to us yet. Thanks
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Some of the complex lights have strange asymetric beam shapes that rely on bulb configuration and reflector shape.

These can not be adjusted, and are the expensive ones to replace !

Peter
Last edited by mpprh on Thu 18 Jun 2009 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

mpprh wrote:Some of the complex lights have strange asymetric beam shapes that can not be adjusted. And these are the expensive ones to replace !

Peter
Sounds like what we had.
Makes me feel a bit better.
Was wondering if we should have got one of those long allen keys!
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

LHD Headlights

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi ,

There are frequent listings on ebay for LHD headlights for various models.
I notice many of them come from Germany as breakers probably realise they can get a better price by selling to the UK market but still a lot cheaper than dealer prices plus you retain the originals should you wish to change back.

Hope that helps.