Kids passport

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Hooray henry
Rank 1
Rank 1

Kids passport

Post by Hooray henry »

My children's passports have expired. Altough they're British they live here in France. I am going to the UK this week and want to renew the passports there.
Should I put their address as france or use my Mum's address in the UK? I need the passports urgently...Any suggestions?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

My understanding Henry,is that if you are going to the UK to do this,and dealing with a Passport office there,(as opposed to the Brit Embassy in Paris),then you've GOT to use a UK address. The UKPA people in the UK will not send a passport to an address outside UK.

This may have changed,but certainly USED to be the case.
joe
Rank 1
Rank 1

passports

Post by joe »

there is an express passport service of 4 hours you drop off you application forms in the morning and pick up the passport in the afternoon. An excellent service although it does cost more. the office in just behind victoria train station
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Best one I know for answers is
http://www.uk-passport-info.co.uk/
calls to 08719560560 cost 10p for the entire duration!!

The passport Office itself is in Petit France - not exactly sure anymore where that is. Someone will know!
I once got a lost (forgotten) temp passpot passport there in 1/2 hour!
Told them I was tourguide and my group was waiting!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

If you go to the Passport Office website (google the term) you will see a number to call a help line. Within 2 weeks of the desired appointment time you will have to phone to make an appointment to use the express 4 hour service - you have to give them a UK address, even if you are collecting the passport in person (as you would be doing, with the 4 hour service). You will need the usual complement of photos, countersigned, and all that palaver. It's a simple procedure though, once you've got your forms in a pack with helpful notes from a post office. You might find that the children have to be with you and sign their own forms. £114 each for the express service.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

That is very expensive! I thought I paid a lot to get them from Paris, mine now seem cheap by that comparison.
Last edited by opas on Fri 17 Jul 2009 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I renewed my own passport when I was in England last Christmas, using my daughter's address. I did actually ring the passport office and explain that I was resident in France and they said it was quite in order to use a UK address as they can't post passports abroad.
I used the local post office 'cheque and send' service, total cost was about £76 for an adult and I was amazed that it came back in about four days.
If you look at the official website for the passport office you can download an application form and find out all the fees.
I think only children over 16 need to sign for themselves.
The funny thing is that I have been assured several times on TotalFrance that I could not possibly have renewed my passport by this method, even though I have it in my handbag!
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

There is a signature requirement, although I cannot remember the age.......youngest aged 11 years did not need to eldest aged 15 did.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I forgot to add that if you are using the express 4 hour service (ie picking up the passport(s) personally, the UK address you 'acquire' is the one you fill in on the form as your address, and you will need a letter from the full-time occupier to say that you are residing with them. You will have to produce from them proof of residency - an electricity bill from the last 3 months, or the like.
Hooray henry
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hooray henry »

Appointment bookerd for money. Premium service £94. Will advise the outcome.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

86 euros to get one child passport the British Embassy in paris. 20 euros postage on top , same amount for one or 10 passports to the same family.
Debeneur.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Hooray henry wrote:Appointment bookerd for money."
:?: :?:

Sounds more like Jollybolly to me!
Hooray henry
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hooray henry »

All done now. Picked up the passport today.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

You got the whole thing done and dusted in less than a week,Henry. Sounds like a good plan,and exactly what we'll do when ours expires in a couple of years. Appears to be a hell of a lot easier than faffing about with the Embassy in Paris.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Yes, thanks H! :D
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

john wrote:You got the whole thing done and dusted in less than a week,Henry. Sounds like a good plan,and exactly what we'll do when ours expires in a couple of years. Appears to be a hell of a lot easier than faffing about with the Embassy in Paris.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
It worked fine for me. My passport didn't run out till next Feb, but I need it to have 6 clear months on it in November for a family trip I'm going on. I was credited with the months remaining on my existing passport, up to next Feb. The whole procedure was very straightforward, and not a rip-off considering the added convenience and piece of mind
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

You do not make it clear if you used the Paris embassy or went to the UK, like Henry,Sue.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

john wrote:You do not make it clear if you used the Paris embassy or went to the UK, like Henry,Sue.
Yes, I was a bit confused too.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I took it that they went to London like Henry
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I went in person to the passport office at Peterborough. Sorry if I confused you