Planting Season

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Planting Season

Post by Eamon Avis »

I have two old roses in my front garden that need to be replaced and I know that you should not put another rose in the same place so I am looking for another suitable plant. The only thing I can think of for the very sunny, dry and hot spot is lavender.

Does anyone know of any other small, attractive flowering plants which grow well in the region about the size of a shrub rose?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Lavender would, indeed, be perfect. If not, you could try rosemary.

Or what about a cistus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cistus
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

Thanks for that Thumbelina. As the Cistus is from the rock-rose family it might not take where a rose has previously been but a rosemary would be good. It would also provide a fine herb for the kitchen!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I've seen magnificent wild rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) - like the picture below (central, behind the iris flowers) - growing amongst the roadside "garrigue" on the way from Fosse to the plateau (vers Saint-Martin). Wonder if such a wild variety which has had to cope with very dry hot sunny conditions in summer and cold in winter (quite high up there!) and has survived well would flourish even better in a garden? This wild variety has a very intense perfume, as if the essential oils are more concentrated...
http://images.doctissimo.fr/grossesse-b ... 800f07.jpg
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Since my last visit to my Potager on Sunday, when I was admiring my tomato, pepper , chili and Aubergine plants and their produce....they have aparently been frozen! not in my freezer I might add!
So either sun or monday night must have had some realy low temps as I am no going to have to pick off the remaining veg and dig up the plants/ :cry:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

My mum in law's potager was all frozen yesterday morning opas