FLOWERS - ARGELES SUR MER

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

FLOWERS - ARGELES SUR MER

Post by blackduff »

Flowers has changed inside and the menu has changed too. I have heard that the inside had a lifting and the menu has changed quite a bit too. I've heard that it's giving a good klang to the wok in Argeles now.

The Indep said it's serving an exotic menu but they might think anything more racy than a bacon butty would be exotic. But, the local scuttlebutt said that there are special menus at low prices.

If somebody finds a chance, give us a bit more info.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

We had the misfortune to eat at the 'new' The Flowers restaurant, last night!!!!

I hadn't been there since it was 'taken over'! I shall not be eating there again!!

My wife and I opted to have a main course and a dessert as we never seem to be able to manage three course!

We both had the same meals!

MAIN COURSE - Sea Bass (which was lovely), accompanied by a brown, slimy vegetable which we decided was Chicory!! Two smallish wedges of Squash, a small mound of Scrambled Egg mixed with Courgette, a large pile of Stodgy Rice (which was inedible)!!!! There was a drizzle of chocolate to decorate the plate!!! I complained about the rice, but was told that the chef had not used enough water!!?? Had it been rinsed through with boiling water after cooking, it might have been 'fluffy', who knows!!?? This was washed down with a bottle of Rose wine!

DESSERT - We should have known better! We both plumped for Rice Pudding with Milk and Cinnamon - fatal!!!!!
This appeared at the table in a common or garden Preservative Jar! It consisted of Cold, Stodgy Rice (probably that left at the main course) mixed with a very large amount of Cinnamon and little, if any Milk!!! I complained!! I suggested this 'gunge' was inedible to the Waiter/Owner??? His response was to suggest that they 'heat it up' as it might be better warm! We declined! He took it away! He then returned to the table to ask if we would like coffee. We declined!! He then asked if we would care for a 'free' glass of Apple Wine from Spain - I declined!!!?????? I asked for the bill! 69.78 euro!!!!! Eat there at your peril!
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Definitely one I would avoid....

Post by John & Elaine »

I had the express menu lunch at Flowers the other day and left unimpressed. Dull food even if attractively presented. I would not go back either and if someone suggested going there I would advise against it. So it won't get reviewed in PO life! Next one up for review in the forthcoming issue is Fogons del Canadal in La Jonquera which I would go back to every day if I could!!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

John
Wasn't this the seven euro menu? If so, I don't think you should expect too have much.

I do know another person who lives in Argeles (also A-D member) and she ate well (Monday) on the wok program. She liked her meal so much that she returned Tuesday. So, like the term, horses for courses.

I ate at Flowers near Christmas. I ate quite well but it wasn't cheap. For four people, we spent about 160€ and it was only one bottle of wine. We did have Champagne for an apero. I ate a lovely turbot which was great. My friend had a problem slicing and dicing to open his turbot.

So, count on my vote for returning to Flowers.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

I think the menu was about 11 Euros - a sum for which I can eat much better elsewhere. But I am happy you were not disappointed. Another restaurant that I would say has 'gone off' is La Campagne bordering the main thrash to Perpignan near Junctions 9 & 10. It's very much a working 'caf' with aspirations but the chef is not good with fish. And the buffet starter now has a reduced choice. Nevertheless it is still always busy.

If anyone beats me to the revamped Trois Soeurs in Perpignan please share your experience with us. This side of the border, my favourite remains Le Table de Cuisine in St André.

John
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

John,

Can you give me directions to both the La Jonquera and St. Andre restaurants you mention above, please!!?? I don't think I know either!!
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

Happy to oblige

http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/sutr ... ght=#60051 is the post I wrote on this resaurant

Here's their website...

www.elsfogonsdecanadal.com

And the site of Table de Cuisine

www.latabledecuisine.com

Both have directions and phone numbers on their sites. You often need to book Table de Cuisine because it has limited covers.

Bon Appetit!

John
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

Thank you both very much!
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

We dropped in here for lunch this week.

The staff were very friendly and the menu quite varied.

Two of us had a warm goats cheese salad with honey and almonds and a side order of chips, the third member of our party had great fun choosing all the things she wanted cooking in the wok! In the end she went for virtually every vegetable there was available, some pork and a sweet and sour style sauce. She said it was delicious!

For dessert, we had the best cafe liegois ever, a bowl of three boules of ice cream and a chocolate moelleux type thing.

We had two half bottles of San Pellegrino and a half a carafe of the house pink.

The bill came to 65 euros.

Not cheap, not outstanding but very pleasant and I would certainly go back again.
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flowers Update February 2011

Post by John & Elaine »

This seems to have changed hands again - And a mighty improvement!! Very pleasant but don’t be tempted by the all you can eat menu because they’ll fill you up with rice before you can eat the more expensive stuff!! First time I’ve had Mahi Mahi since being in Hawaii. Excellent value if you choose well. Great salads. House wine very drinkable at €4 a half litre. Gaffer speaks English better than me!! Recommended. Bon appetit
John
PS Ask about their Jazz evenings (often Thursdays). Open all year round.
ardner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Flowers Update February 2011

Post by ardner »

John & Elaine wrote:This seems to have changed hands again - And a mighty improvement!! Very pleasant but don’t be tempted by the all you can eat menu because they’ll fill you up with rice before you can eat the more expensive stuff!! First time I’ve had Mahi Mahi since being in Hawaii. Excellent value if you choose well. Great salads. House wine very drinkable at €4 a half litre. Gaffer speaks English better than me!! Recommended. Bon appetit
John
PS Ask about their Jazz evenings (often Thursdays). Open all year round.
Haha so true - we went there last time and we tried the all you can eat menu... I think I have never seen so much rice in my entire life before! :D but to note I have to say that I really like the 'new' Flowers. Above all their decoration is more beautiful than before... I like the table decoration. They told me that the get their decorations from a certain flower delivery in uk so I will definitely check that out for my own dining room. :)