Working in France

As a EU citizen, you have a right to live and work within the EU community. You are advised however to inform your social security office, the Inland Revenue National Insurance Contributions Office (International Services) and the Department for Work and Pensions when you move and provide them with your contact details abroad. You should also tell them if you change address again or return to the UK to live. If you are intending to work in France, there are specific regulations for registration with the social security depending on your circumstances. To ensure you have all the facts, British citizens should contact;
D.S.S. – Overseas Branch
EU Office Longbenton
Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1YX
tel: 0191 213 5000

Non-British nationals….
…..should check in with their own country’s [consulate->rubrique26.html] in France who will point you in the right direction

Non EU nationals…..
……. must obtain a work permit (Autorisation de Travail) if they wish to work, even on a temporary basis, in France. This should be applied for before arriving in France either by themselves or their future employer.
Office des Migrations Internationales
14, rue Brague 75015 Paris
Tel: 0033 1 53 69 53 70

Social Security Rights
When you arrive in France, it is unlikely that you will have the right to any benefits until you have worked for at least 3 months. You will however need to register with the ASSEDIC (benefits office) who will give you a dossier number. This will give you the right to use all the facilites at your local ANPE (employment agency) including photocopier and telephone. It will also mean that you can take advantage of its training programmes and regular job updates.
See our section on [Medical Care->rubrique39.html] in France for information on health benefits

Working for an EU employer or self employed

You are usually insured under the social security laws of the country and will not normally have to pay NI contributions in the UK

Self employed for a short period of time
If you are self employed in the UK and go to work in another country in the EU for less than one year, you will carry on being insured under the UK NI scheme.

You will continue to pay NI contributions as if you were still in the UK. You will not have to pay into the scheme in your new temporary country.

You should apply for form [E101->]

If your job unexpectedly lasts for more than 12 months, you may ask to carry on being insured for a further maximum of a year. You should apply for form 102.

Statutory Maternity Pay
This is paid by employers to help women to take time off work when expecting a baby. If you work for a UK employer and have done so for at least 26 weeks, you should be entitled to SMP in other EU countries. The rate of benefits depends on your average weekly earnings.

Maternity Allowance
This can be paid up to 26 weeks. To qualify, you must have been employed or self-employed in at least 26 of the 66 weeks before your baby is expected. The rate of benefits depends on your average weekly earnings.

Statuory Sick Pay
This is paid by employers for up to 28 weeks if you are too sick to work. You may be able to get short term incapacity benefit in another country if you:
fall sick whilst visiting and need urgent medical treatment
fall sick whislt living or working there <bR
you are sent there for medical treatment.
Visit for more info.

Long term incapacity benefit
If you have been insured for sickness in the UK, you may be able to get UK long term incapacity benefit in another country as long as yhou satisfy the rules and continue to be unfit for work.

Leave a Comment