Choosing your ‘médecin traitant’
FROM 1ST MAY 2017, GP CONSULTATION FEES WILL RISE TO 25 EUROS
If you are a resident of France, you should be registered with a specific doctor, a médecin traitant. If you do not have a nominated GP, you will receive less money back from the Assurance Maladie (National Health) via your care vitale.
You may visit any doctor at any time, but will not benefit from this reduced rate of reimbursement.
- A consultation with an approved GP costs 23€ at present (price applicable on 1 January 2016.)
- A visit to your chosen doctor will be reimbursed at 70% of the consultation, less your contribution of 1€.
- If the doctor is not your médecin traitant, the ‘Assurance Maladie’ will only reimburse you 30 % of the consultation, less your contribution of 1€ .
- If you have not yet designated a doctor, you can obtain lists of doctors in your region from your local CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie) or by visiting www.ameli.fr where you can also register online.
- Your chosen médecin traitant does not have to be a GP. He or she may be a specialist with whom you have regular contact for example, but obviously you need to take into account his proximity for visits.
- Where a doctor practices within a group, you must still register with a specific doctor from the group practice However, if that doctor is absent, you will still benefit from the higher rate of reimbursement if you see a partne
- Different members of a famille may register with different doctors.
- You do not have to consult your médecin traitant every time if you do not wish, but you will be reimbursed at a lower rate for visiting another doctor with whom you are not registered .
- If you are resident, and registered with the health system, you should have automatically received Cerfa form No 12485*01 Déclaration de Choix du médecin traitant. It is on this form that you state your choice of doctor.
- The form should be taken first to your chosen doctor, who will fill it in with you, and stamp it. He or she is in fact agreeing to be your médecin traitant. He may agree for you to register directly online. If not, the form should than be submitted by you to CPAM (Caisse d’Assurance Maladie) office.
- If you have lost the form originally sent to you, you can obtain another from your local CPAM, or it can be downloaded at www.ameli.fr.
- If you wish to change your médecin traitant, you may do so at any time by filling in another form and submitting it to the CPAM.
- If you are on holiday elsewhere in France, and cannot attend your chosen médecin traitant, you may attend any doctor and will be reimbursed at the same rate.
Once you have chosen your médecin traitant he or she will be responsible for your records, results and referrals to specialists. However, there are certain exceptions for referrals. You may make appointments directly with: gynaecologists, dentists, ophthalmologists.