Retiring to France

If you are taking early retirement and do not yet qualify for your state pension, or if you are not planning to work, it is important that you apply to the DSS for a form E106 – this will give you reciprocal medical cover for up to 2 years, but at the end of that period you will need to take out a private insurance if you are still not yet of ‘pensionable’ age. Do set your application in motion well before your intended move as the necessary forms can take quite a while to come through. If you do end up moving without the E106 and are obliged to seek [medical care in France->rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=39], the reciprocal arrangement from your E106 will be backdated and you will still be reimbursed the majority of your medical expenses. (Many people believe that the E111 is the form required for medical expenses but in fact this is just for holiday and short stays and only covers emergency treatment – this form can be acquired at your local post-office)

The address of your DSS overseas branch
DSS – Overseas Branch
EU Office
Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1YX
Tel: 0191 213 5000

If you are already receiving a state pension in Britain, you should apply for a form E121GB (available at the address above)
The DSS will also advise you on available leaflets about your security, health care and pensions rights in the European Community.

For your tax enquiries

More information about retiring to France

Leave a Comment