Do You Own UK Property? 

Changes To Capital Gains Tax For Non-Residents


By Mary Taylor, Partner, Blevins Franks



Do you own property in the UK?  If you do, and are not resident there, you need to be aware of the new capital gains tax rules from 6th April 2015. 


Rules up to 6th April

☛ UK residents pay capital gains tax at 18% or 28%, depending on their income tax bracket, when they sell a property.  The annual allowance was £11,000 per individual.

☛ Principal private residence relief is given to the main home.  If you have occupied the property as your main home for the full period of ownership, the full gain is exempt from tax.  There is a ‘grace period’ of 18 months, which are considered deemed occupation if the property had previously been your main home.  Prior to April 2014 it was 36 months.

☛ If you are non-UK resident, any assets you sold in the UK were free from capital gains tax – provided you remained non-UK resident for five complete and consecutive UK tax years.



Rules from 6th April

☛ Non-residents selling UK property are now taxed on the gains.   This is regardless of how long you have lived outside the UK, and will apply even if you never return.

☛ The new tax onlies apply to property; gains arising on other UK assets are not caught by the provision.

☛ The capital gains tax rate is same as that paid by UK residents, so either 18% or 28%, depending on whether your UK source income fits into the basic or higher rate tax bracket.

☛ The annual allowance for individuals has increased to £11,100.

☛ There are different rates and allowances for companies and trusts.

☛ In most cases you can choose whether to rebase the value of your property to 5th April 2015, or time-apportion the gain. You could also compute the gain over the whole period of ownership.

☛ These new rules only apply to residential property, which is any property that is suitable for use as a dwelling, regardless of whether anyone is residing in it or not.  This includes residential property owned as an investment and also sales of interest in ‘off-plan’ properties.

☛ You can now choose to apply the principal private residence relief to a property if you have resided in it for at least 90 days over the UK tax year.

☛ This would mean you avoid tax on the gain, but it may also mean that you become UK resident for tax purposes under the UK’s Statutory Residence Test, depending on the other ties you have and amount of time spent there, and this would make you liable to tax in the UK on your worldwide income.

☛ UK residents will also be able to apply the relief to a property they own here in France, if they spend 90 days in it.

Where tax is also due in France, you need to understand the interaction of the UK and French tax regimes under the double taxation treaty.  Take professional advice to establish what your tax liabilities are and where, and what you can do to minimise them.  A wealth manager would also discuss your options for your UK property and whether you should retain it or consider selling it to avoid a higher tax bill in future.


Tax rates, scope and reliefs may change.  Any statements concerning taxation are based upon our understanding of current taxation laws and practices which are subject to change.  Tax information has been summarised; an individual is advised to seek personalised advice.


Mary Taylor
05 62 30 51 40
Learn more about
Blevins Franks



Leave a Comment